This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

serratus strain

Started by pagio, March 12, 2013 · 10 Replies · 315 Views

pagio

Well I'm suffering a serratus strain ( pain when i squeeze the muscle or try to hold something with my left hand ) I think, not anything serious. My question is what do you propose for this kind of "not so serious" injuries ? For example if you had the same problem with your lower back ( has happended ) what is the protocol you follow ? Should I do my HS training ?

Keilani Gutierrez

you might want to consult that with your sports medicine specialist. 

Nic Branson

Is there any bruising? If yes then go see a physio you did more damage then you think. If not then rest it, some light massage and heat. Move it through patterns that only cause discomfort but not pain. If it continues to hurt severely or gets worse again see a physio.

Some basics.

pagio

Thanks for the advice :) I 'm going to try some heat ( counterpain balm ) and see how it goes. Thanks again guys 

Coach Sommer

- You should do no HS work.

 

- How did you strain a serratus when there are no HS during the initial PEs of H1?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

pagio

I didn't hurt the muscle during HS work. I think it was from wide pull-ups but I'm not really sure.

 

My question is actually more general. I was looking for your advice on minor muscle injuries because it has happened to me before and as a proffesional trainer you should have a lot of experience on what "works". For example if I rest for 2 weeks I know that it will go away , but I would prefer not to stay away from training so long.

 

Thanks for the quick reply and congratulations for your work on HS1 , it is really very good.

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, I agree with Zach. you don't want to be dealing with this much later on and take more steps back than just take the appropriate time off and rest and then get back to training feeling fresh.

 

I personally know a coach that has a number of certifications and whatnot, has a great customer base and reputation but yet can't muster the inner strength to take a few steps back and let his knee tendonitis heal. this will probably get more serious as he continues aggravation of the tissue.

kasanya

If you've injured something and it feels inflamed or irritated, you should be applying cold. Heat is likely to just aggravate an injury in the early stages. Heat will be more helpful once the injury has healed a bit and the area feels more stiff than inflamed.

pagio

Well I 'm on the 5th day since  the injury , and I felt it has healed a little,  but pain hasn't go away. I'm trying http://www.salonpas.us/  ( heat ). I hope i am after what you call the early stage.

 

Thank you all for the help. 

Klaudius Petrulis

See a specialist if you can. 

pagio

Well i was trying to avoid this for economic reasons. Constant pain has got away , I feel the muscle a little stiff  so I guess it goes well. I think I'll try some light training tommorow , so thank you all for your help :)