This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progression query

Started by Jon Douglas, March 12, 2013 · 12 Replies · 545 Views

Jon Douglas

Regarding my working away at HS/PE5>iM5,

 

- I'm currently in the second week of this microcycle; the PE is very easy (at 10lb) and I've been happily doing 5x30s for that, and putitng the focus on increasing the rom with the same weighted bar for the IM.

 

- Today I managed all 5x5 mobility reps at 1 shoulder width + 1.5 hands, +10lb.

 

My intention is to see out the week with the same IM element, then advance onto the next (very similar, undergrip dislocate) in my wk3.

Would those in the know rather that I continued with the same element for the duration of the cycle? Or is it just as acceptable to advance on the 3rd week, where I expect to find pretty much the same situation (staying on wk 11 programming for the PE until the IM catches up)?

 

Thanks for any advice.

Coach Sommer

The PEs and their particular PE's iM are married together for the duration of the cycle.  It may be the PE that is lagging behind or the PE>iM that is lagging behind; however there should be no progressing onward until both are mastered.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

The PEs and their particular PE's iM are married together for the duration of the cycle.  It may be the PE that is lagging behind or the PE>iM that is lagging behind; however there should be no progressing onward until both are mastered.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Understood.

And once they are both mastered? Move forward (on both PE and IM) within the microcycle or hold ground to consolidate for the 4 weks?

 

If I'm unclear, I mean that as answered in a previous thread, I've hit the benchmark for the IM element mastery and querying whether it's ok to move forward on that basis.

Jon Douglas

OK, looks like this one's on me. Onwards I go~

ausswe

I think if you were to reach true mastery within the first couple weeks ten there would e no problem moving onto the next progression. Maybe wait until after the deload week but then move on

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

Understood.

And once they are both mastered? Move forward (on both PE and IM) within the microcycle or hold ground to consolidate for the 4 weks?

 

If I'm unclear, I mean that as answered in a previous thread, I've hit the benchmark for the IM element mastery and querying whether it's ok to move forward on that basis.

 

(I'm assuming that what you mean is that in the middle of a micro-cycle, you've completed mastery of both the IM and PE elements).

 

I would complete the microcycle and progress after the deload week. You want to keep your deload weeks in sync. If you think you're starting out the next PE with a bit of excess strength, you could also try immediately progressing to whichever week would keep your deload in sync. I.e. if you achieved IM mastery of PE5 on week 10, then you could try moving up to PE6/week3, so that the following week would still be a deload week. 

Jon Douglas

Thanks for your input guys; maybe I was unclear.

 

I mean that doing the week 11 programming for the PE has been easy from day one, I expect the next one to be also, and I have been waiting/working up the proper-width reps at the proper width on the IM element. Now that I've got that, I'm just looking for an ok on the time frame and whether I  am better off spending under-load time on it, or knock it up a notch to the slightly harder but still very similar PEIM6..

 

It seems reasonable to me to nudge forward, and since my reps won't change there's no impact on any deload schedule.

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

Thanks for your input guys; maybe I was unclear.

 

I mean that doing the week 11 programming for the PE has been easy from day one, I expect the next one to be also, and I have been waiting/working up the proper-width reps at the proper width on the IM element. Now that I've got that, I'm just looking for an ok on the time frame and whether I  am better off spending under-load time on it, or knock it up a notch to the slightly harder but still very similar PEIM6..

 

It seems reasonable to me to nudge forward, and since my reps won't change there's no impact on any deload schedule.

Coach Sommer said:

 

Coach Sommer said:

The PEs and their particular PE's iM are married together for the duration of the cycle.  It may be the PE that is lagging behind or the PE>iM that is lagging behind; however there should be no progressing onward until both are mastered.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

 

Coach's response seems pretty clear to me: keep the PE/IM's paired. If the PE is easy for you and you've mastered the IM, why not move both forward? 

 

There is something to be said for spending some additional time performing the IM exercise with correct form to really pattern the movement, which would be the major reason to continue your current exercise to the end of the microcycle. However, if you incorporate it as part of your warm-up while doing the next exercise, you'll probably be fine. 

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

Coach's response seems pretty clear to me: keep the PE/IM's paired. If the PE is easy for you and you've mastered the IM, why not move both forward? 

 

There is something to be said for spending some additional time performing the IM exercise with correct form to really pattern the movement, which would be the major reason to continue your current exercise to the end of the microcycle. However, if you incorporate it as part of your warm-up while doing the next exercise, you'll probably be fine. 

That rings true for me, and was my thought process too. Thanks for your time.

 

Edit;

Maybe I misread Coach's post, I thought he'd misunderstood my question (I tend to get a little wordy at times). My apologies if I've misinterpreted.

Coach Sommer

Not to worry.  My household has three women in it (wife and two daughters).  I am an expert at distilling "wordiness" down into coherent content.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

Not to worry.  My household has three women in it (wife and two daughters).  I am an expert at distilling "wordiness" down into coherent content.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cheers :)

FredInChina
Coach Sommer said:

Not to worry.  My household has three women in it (wife and two daughters).  I am an expert at distilling "wordiness" down into coherent content.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

HAHAHA! Here is the REAL reason why the H&F fora have protected access... :D

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

HAHAHA! Here is the REAL reason why the H&F fora have protected access... :D

If they didn't before, perhaps they would suddenly develop it now... 0:)