This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Newbie bent arm vs straight arm strength (large difference)

Started by N00dl3, March 12, 2013 · 3 Replies · 223 Views

N00dl3

Hey guys,

 

Just in my second week of F1 and its awesome. Just wondering if any other 'trained persons' aka people who lifted weights and did sports before F1 but no GST training had initial bent arm strength WAY above straight arm? Personally at PE1 week 9 on straight arm and PE6 on bent arm. My PPP are for good reps, just need to increase angle, which is why i spend that section of the workout doing a mix of the mobility exercises. Just curious if anyone else had the same experience. Its not a total surprise as dips and essentially body weight rows on rings are less technical compared to some of the straight arm moves.

 

Anyways, that's my share!

 

-Matt

Joshua Naterman

Your experiences are pretty normal, I think :)

 

I still use PE1 for the RC progressions as my main workout.

 

I have gained a lot of strength this way. I use the other RC PE exercises for warm up and fun, as I have mastered them all according to the mastery in F1.

 

These first six PE exercises have, together, led me back to a 3-4s very nice FL. Full lay.

 

Bent arm is much better than straight arm for me in pressing, though my planche leans are getting much, much stronger.

frolosophy

I did basic calisthenics and bar training for a couple of years before moving to gymnastics-oriented training (about 4 months ago). My bent-arm strength is pretty good, but I never really trained straight-arm strength prior and I'm still pretty terrible in that regard. Starting straight-arm work is very humbling, and seems to be the weak link for most people.

N00dl3

Thanks for the replies guys! Very excited for this journey!