This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Protraction in PE1 and PE3 iM

Started by Micawberian, March 11, 2013 · 2 Replies · 290 Views

Micawberian

Hi everybody,

My question is, are we supposed to maintain some protraction of the scapula in the seated flexion stretch and the seated flexion reps? I can do the iM exercises just fine with 8 lbs If I pull my shoulders back to open them up without worrying about protraction. But, I just tried to perform the seated flexion stretch with protraction and holy moly I sure do get some massive serratus anterior and left oblique cramps...MASSIVE...in addition to making the iM a much more complicated movement in terms of trying to pull the shoulder back yet protracting at the same time. It's a wierd concept to get my head around.

I've been going through the HS1 exercsies, testing my mastery for everything. Last week I got through PE1 and PE2 no problem, with mobility mastery disregarding protraction. Today, I got through PE3 no issue, disregarding protraction in the iM reps.

So, just wondering about the correct scapula positioning in PE1 and 3 iM, because if we're supposed to protract slightly (I really can't tell from the video) then I gotta go back to PE1!

Cannister

I think this is one of those cases where you're really over-thinking things.  Protraction is for pushing forward and this is not a forward pushing element.

 

Concentrate on shoulder elevation and pulling the bar as far back as possible, and the rest should sort itself out.

Micawberian

Thanks, Cannister. Yea, I tend to overthink these things!

I suppose, when in doubt, be like Blairbob.