In this particular exercise . I see that you lean back and pull yourself to 90degrees. Now do you pullup on the rings a little bit after being at 90degrees because in the example it seems like theres no slight pullup. I have been pulling up a little bit I am not sure if you have too or not
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
RC/PE1
Started by m6shifter, March 11, 2013 · 11 Replies · 531 Views
You should not need to pull up. The exercise is meant to be an easy variation of a row.
lean back and slowly get to 90degrees then. Thats what i'll do on thursday thanks
The model looks like he is sitting on the floor even though it says to start with the glutes and shoulders off the floor. The shoulders are clearly off the floor in the bottom position but the glutes are not so clear.
as long as you emphasize the hollow at the bottom and put the smallest amount of pressure through your heels, you'll be able to get the most out of what people are trying to say with "just keep the butt a little off the ground." try it ![]()
tfeal said:The model looks like he is sitting on the floor even though it says to start with the glutes and shoulders off the floor. The shoulders are clearly off the floor in the bottom position but the glutes are not so clear.
Since the technique notes state to "begin with shoulders and hips just off the ground", that is what you should strive to do.
From there simply copy the athlete's form exactly as is demonstrated in the video.
OK Thanks for that guys and that seems a good cue KeilaniG.
I did it yesterday as shown in the video. If you look carefully, you see that when you reach 90 degrees there is no clear pull up. However, you pull hands to shoulders.
So should your butt not be on the ground during this exericse? In the video the athlete is seated the entire time.
I tested mastery on this and is was extremely easy, so perhaps I'm doing it wrong?
Yes, I did it (mastered) yesterday with glutes off the ground, it is more tough on the forearms and the lats but managed a good form. I might record it now that I will use it as WU for PE2.
CodyW said:So should your butt not be on the ground during this exericse? In the video the athlete is seated the entire time.
I tested mastery on this and is was extremely easy, so perhaps I'm doing it wrong?
The exercise notes say to begin with the shoulders and hips just off the ground, so you should at least have your butt off the ground at the "bottom" of the exercise.
From there IMO it's pretty obvious from watching the video many, many times through that the athlete in the video has at least some weight on his butt at the top of the movement (you can see his feet track slightly forwards and backwards during the movement, which is inconsistent with the idea that one should have all their weight on his/her heels/off his/her butt while performing this movement). Zach Armijo observed pretty much the same thing is the huge "Hinge Rows exact shoulder position" thread.
It's supposed to be an easy variation of a bodyweight row (it's a PE 1 after all).
But don't take my word as gospel as I am not a GB coach; this is simply the path that I have chosen to take concerning this exercise after studying the demonstration video of this element many, many times through, trusting that the athlete in the video is performing the element with perfect form (and that were he not and had Coach intended it be performed differently that it would look different in the video), noting that it says nothing about keeping the butt off the floor at all times in the exercise description notes (which, had it been a crucial form cue mostly likely would have been), and from experimenting with and the exercise and trying to replicate the video as closely as possible.
But again, I'm no authority, so take what I said with a grain of salt.
I'm gonna try mastery again tomorrow, surely I'll still be able to pass it. PE2 mastery testing destroyed my forearms.