Front Lever Improvement - Tips

Started by BodyTrain, March 11, 2013 · 3 Replies · 3,591 Views

BodyTrain

Hey, Im training now a while, for the FL. I think that  startet like 2-3 month ago..

But I just have little progress..

I startet with an 10~12 sec. one leg FL and can now do it for like 24-30 sec.. I find that improvement well, but I have just no progress on the straddle FL..

Because I can´t straddle my legs so far, I have to straddle them half. So I have to skip the straddle. My legs are like an "V" just a bit closer, and since now I only can hold it shaky with bad form for 2~3 sec. in my first attempt.. The second, third .. are horrible.

 

Any tips/ other moves that I can try to progress faster?

 

And is it normal, that right after one attempt my upper back hurts like hell ?

Alessandro Mainente

i don't think that flexibility problem is a good reason to skip an important step of front lever.

so my tips is continue to work on your current variation before straddle and try to compensate the lack of flexibility/mobility.

the reason of that is to show how steps are made to condition your joints. reach all the steps makes the process safe.

if you nee to skip the straddle is because your legs flexibility lets to the str to be more like a full lay, and the gap between one leg and full , in term of stress and strenght, is too big.

on other static position as bl and pl skip a step has more impact on elbows and shoulders, so if you plain to add these 2 static in future consider to achieve a decent straddle split to make the process graduated..

Flameous

I had the lucky situation with FL that I was able to hold half lay about from the start. But that is no reason to neglect the straddle training since you will most definitely need it with PL variants. So actually although I can now hold full FL for 2-3 secs, I'm atm building endurance with adv. tuck where I try to straddle my legs.

 

For the upper back pain, it is either very normal if it feels good kind of muscle pain. However I have noticed that if you don't have your activation just right, some weaker muscles seem to take the load and can't quite take it. I had some mild strains from that, so it is really important to have your form perfect when you work near max.

BodyTrain

Thank you for the advices.

A few minutes ago, something strange happend..I could do an FL for ~ 3 sec. Im so happy..Never expectet that I get it.

But the form is not so great. Im just a little bit arched and my arms aren´t stretched, but I think after 1-2 month I will get an decent FL, as it was with the muscle up.

 

Now only the BL and the OAC left.