This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation one training and shoulder problems

Started by Erin, March 11, 2013 · 3 Replies · 217 Views

Erin

I did my first official foundation one workout just now, and I have a question regarding shoulders. I have bad shoulders, I think mostly due to old injuries when I was younger, and also I think just because my shoulder joints are not naturally strong. My right shoulder especially is not very flexible and pretty weak, and I've noticed that doing some of the lat stretches make my shoulders feel a bit unstable. I always warm up with some light rotator (spelling?) cuff exercises that I got from PT when I was in high school, and I've been doing Turkish get-ups because they make my shoulders feel more stable, but I just wondered, is there anything in foundation one, stretch-wise, that I shouldn't do? Or will this problem of feeling unstable when stretching resolve itself as my strength and mobility improve? I feel like the discomfort is probably due to the fact that my shoulders are pretty weak and that I've never actually done any mobility work with them, but I want to be sure that it is ok for my to be stretching them out when they feel this way. Thanks, guys!

PS I totally recommend foundation one for anyone who doesn't have it yet--it's awesome. 

Erin

Also, two other questions I just thought of--

1. With the integrated mobility, do you still need to do general stretching after a workout?

and

2. If you have completed the mastery level of one exercise, but are unable to do the beginning level of reps and sets with perfect form for the next exercise, is it ok to do both the mastery level of the first exercise and then the beginning level of the next exercise on the same  workout days until your form improves? Sorry, that was a mouthful :P

Joshua Slocum
Erin said:

I did my first official foundation one workout just now, and I have a question regarding shoulders. I have bad shoulders, I think mostly due to old injuries when I was younger, and also I think just because my shoulder joints are not naturally strong. My right shoulder especially is not very flexible and pretty weak, and I've noticed that doing some of the lat stretches make my shoulders feel a bit unstable. I always warm up with some light rotator (spelling?) cuff exercises that I got from PT when I was in high school, and I've been doing Turkish get-ups because they make my shoulders feel more stable, but I just wondered, is there anything in foundation one, stretch-wise, that I shouldn't do? Or will this problem of feeling unstable when stretching resolve itself as my strength and mobility improve? I feel like the discomfort is probably due to the fact that my shoulders are pretty weak and that I've never actually done any mobility work with them, but I want to be sure that it is ok for my to be stretching them out when they feel this way. Thanks, guys!

PS I totally recommend foundation one for anyone who doesn't have it yet--it's awesome. 

The mobility exercises should help to strengthen your shoulders. However, if you notice any sharp pains during an exercise, that is a sign that you either need to scale back the intensity or not perform it altogether. Be sure to start off slow, and only very gradually increase the resistance/pressure used. 

 

It's also probably a good idea to have this discussion with a doctor who is familiar with your exact condition; they will be able to point out any exercises that you absolutely shouldn't do. 

synchroGENized

In my experience the Gymnastic Bodies work has helped rather than endangered shoulders.  Perhaps that's because I'm unfamiliar with many of the movements and tend to approach things in a (timid) gradual way.  But it seems like my humerus is connecting better to my shoulder girdle is connecting better to my core body - and not just in "safe" movements but in movements that are much less restricted.

I just started F1, but it seems to be even more excellent for the rank beginner.