Hello, everyone. Just thought I'd finally introduce myself, since I'm feeling up for it, and so I won't feel awkward when I post again asking for help, as I'm sure I will. Any, I'm a 24 year-old, with a black belt in an Okinawan based martial art. I've been training in it for 5 years now. I've had a natural gift for everything done in those classes, so I've never had to train hard, like others. While that made my black belt a relatively easy goal, my body is extremely weak as a result, despite my large stature (220 lbs, 6'1"). So, I wanted something that I wouldn't be good at right away that would help me to develop some strength and explosiveness, as well as a higher level of whole-body coordination and balance.
Then I stumble upon one of Coach Sommer's articles and then his excellent website. There's not a single progression of any exercise that I've found on here that doesn't challenge me to my absolute limits within seconds, and it's great. I've found out my weak links extremely quickly (for me, that would be abs and back), and am working on developing those at a marginally higher pace. And those higher progressions to look forward to are a great help in keeping me on track, especially during winter up here in Alaska.
Naturally, as I'll never quit being a martial artist, and from all that I've seen and read, gymnastics will always complement my self-defense training, I doubt I'll ever stop doing relevant gymnastics skills and workouts. Especially since I highly prefer body-weight only exercises. So, my long-term goals are quite high. I'd like to do a full planche and front lever, among other high level (to me) skills. It'll be a tough road for my size, but I'll have great milestones along the way. Just getting to a tuck planche was a great achievement in my book.
What I'm looking forward to most is being able to hold a tucked L-sit for more than a fraction of a second. Guess I have a lot of work to do. Coach's book is on the way (hopefully), and that will help out as well. In the meantime, good training to you all, and I'll be reading and talking, and hopefully getting stronger. ![]()