Do you train when you are sick?

Started by yosemite, March 10, 2013 · 36 Replies · 12,001 Views

yosemite

Hey I'm new to this forum, well under this username at least, and I was just making some nice progress in my planche progressions and regular conditioning routine until i got a nasty cold or sinus infection last week.  It kills me when something gets in the way of my training right as I am making gains!!!

 

Well I had no plans to stop working out but last Friday when I usually train I felt really weak and wasn't able to perform to my liking, I don't know if it has anything to do with having a bad cold but I think it may, my body felt weak even though I'm still eating a ton, is it not a good idea to workout when you feel like this?  Or should you ignore the pain and push yourself through it?  I'm sure I'll be better in a couple days but right now I have no plans to miss training tomorrow even if I suck.

 

What does anyone else do when they get sick?  Train through the pain?  Or rest, which I would rest but hate to lose progress I was making... :facepalm:

Cole Dano

It's not a good idea at all to train while you are sick.

 

If you have a fever, do not train!

 

After being sick, give yourself at least a few days to get back to normal levels of training. Don't worry, you won't loose any strength if you slow down a bit for a week or so around a cold of flu. Once your body recovers, your strength levels will return to where they were. 

yosemite

Thank you.

Klaudius Petrulis

Yeah, it's usually best to listen to your body in this case.  Training hard during a sick will only lengthen the sickness.  What you need is rest.

SuperBru

It all depends on the person. I take cold showers every night to condition myself mentally. When I get sick or get a headache I train harder. I've taught my body to take the pain and move through. Funny thing I’ve actually got rid of a migraine simply from working out. No pills no medicine. I also eat as healthy as possible. Seeing as I don't think you've conditioned yourself mentally you shouldn't work out.

Klaudius Petrulis

It is possible to train through a cold. Maybe even a flu.  Would I recommend it? Probably not ;)

 

Just because your body can adapt to a certain stressor doesn't mean it's not a stressor anymore.

SuperBru

True.

yosemite
Super Saiyan said:

Seeing as I don't think you've conditioned yourself mentally you shouldn't work out.

LOL and you are assuming I have not conditioned myself mentally because?  I started this thread to see what other people do when they get sick, and explained how I felt while training being sick, I was unable to perform physically to my capability.  Mentally I still attempted my workout and gave 100% effort so I'm a bit confused by your comment.

Nic Branson

Fever..hell no

Chest "cold" not a good plan.

Minor cold with minimal symptoms, certainly as I find it tends to help.

Sinus problems and migraine.....well this should be obvious.

gravy
Super Saiyan said:

Funny thing I’ve actually got rid of a migraine simply from working out. No pills no medicine.

You obviously weren't having a migraine.

yosemite

Chest cold with body aches is what I have, my body was in pain just walking to where I train lol.

 

The pain doesn't bother me it is the thought that if I try to train in this condition I will actually be doing more damage and losing strength than if I were resting.

SuperBru

Apologies I was assuming.

SuperBru
gravy said:

You obviously weren't having a migraine.

Ahh trust me buddy my head felt like it was going to explode! Plus your assuming just like me.

FredInChina

HAHAHAHAHA... SuperSayan AKA PainIsGain, you crack me up tough guy!

I already grabbed a chair & cooked some popcorn so I can comfortably watch and see where your chest beating leads you ;) - I even placed some bets.

 

BTW, I've been thinking that once you've tackled the CTI hold in two years, you would be ready to train for a one arm Iron Cross. :blink:

That would shut everyone up! :)

3D Guy

just wok light, very light things, do mobility work, stretching and that's all!!

Klaudius Petrulis

I knew a girl who would have signs of a stroke during her migraine episodes.

SuperBru

Everyone always seems to question me. I'm the type of person that thinks out of the box not inside. Don't judge me yet my story hasn't been written. 

SuperBru
FredInChina said:

HAHAHAHAHA... SuperSayan AKA PainIsGain, you crack me up tough guy!

I already grabbed a chair & cooked some popcorn so I can comfortably watch and see where your chest beating leads you ;) - I even placed some bets.

 

BTW, I've been thinking that once you've tackled the CTI hold in two years, you would be ready to train for a one arm Iron Cross. :blink:

That would shut everyone up! :)

Yes i've actually seriously thought about trying that one day.

FredInChina
Super Saiyan said:

Yes i've actually seriously thought about trying that one day.

 

Great, I will be stacking more popcorn then. :)

Cole Dano
yosemite said:

Chest cold with body aches is what I have, my body was in pain just walking to where I train lol.

 

The pain doesn't bother me it is the thought that if I try to train in this condition I will actually be doing more damage and losing strength than if I were resting.

 

Yes it is possible to do more damage. It will take longer to get well, and there is a risk that the infection can travel due to the elevated heart rate and blood flow.  With chest cold complications like pneumonia, or chronic asthma.

 

Unfortunately I learned this lesson too late, and trained while recovering from a chest cold an wound up with chronic asthma, and have never had the same work capacity since. It cost me dearly.

Alessandro Mainente

never train when you are sick especially fever or something very similar. 

 

pro inflammatory processes activated due to a viral infection debilitate the body. Physical activity usually causes a lowering of barriers immune because of pro-inflammatory processes due to muscle repair and neural modifications. the body has a double exposure to the disease that may aggravate pre-existing problems and make it show other.
the term pro inflammatory is not used by a chance ... is a bit 'difficult to explain in a few lines, it is a way of self body protection.
spinelli

Way I see it your body is telling you to stop for a reason. I'd never workout with a fever or a chest cold. A head cold maybe but it would have to be quite a light workout, it's true you can cause serious damage to yourself if you don't let your body recover. Best thing I've found is to take plenty of fluid and get yourself as warm as possible to sweat out the cold/fever, that and gargle lemon juice.

Arto

.