PNF Stretching and Strength Requirements

Started by Julian Wilson, March 10, 2013 · 11 Replies · 7,692 Views

Julian Wilson

I've read that PNF stretching requires a certain amount of inherent strength to be performed effectively and without injury. Can anyone dispute or verify this claim? 


Just a side question: does PNF stretching add to active flexibility?
 

Thanks!

Daniel Burnham

The basics of pnf is to ease tension caused by the nervous system in order to take you to the limits of your current flexibility. Which is why it works well at the beginning of a workout. Active flexibility is generating force in the extremes of your flexible regions.

I am not aware of a reason to need a lot of strength for pnf other that to activate the muscle agonist to the one you are attempting to stretch. I guess this would need to be stronger than the stretch reflex and tissue stiffness inherent in the muscle but that shouldn't be too much force compared to the output of an activated muscle.

Joshua Slocum
Julian Wilson said:

I've read that PNF stretching requires a certain amount of inherent strength to be performed effectively and without injury. Can anyone dispute or verify this claim? 

Just a side question: does PNF stretching add to active flexibility?

 

Thanks!

 

Good PNF stretches place the limb into a position of disadvantaged leverage, making it easier to hold the limb in place and stretch it further. No great strength is required.  

 

PNF increases your passive flexibilty. If passive flexibility is the bottleneck in your active flexibilty, PNF can help.

Julian Wilson

Alright. I think I will try out some basic PNF stretching today. I spent hours researching about how to do it correctly, and I think I have a good idea. 

 

I guess this is kind of off-topic, but it still relates to PNF stretching.  If I were to only train front and side splits, would my flexibility gains transfer well in the pike position? I only ask this because I have not found any PNF stretches for the pike or straddle pike position explicitly that I can do on my own. 

 

My main goals, for now, is to achieve a good straddle pike, a forward pike, and the front and side splits. I find these positions the most relevant in breakdancing.

 

Thanks for all the help!

Alessandro Mainente

depending on where do you live, i suggest to you to follow a seminar of the Coach...you can obtain a reasonable amount of tips and exercises to solve your problems!

Julian Wilson

I agree, that would be immensely helpful. F1 has solved virtually all problems related to balancing training with daily practice. However, I just can't afford to go at the moment. I'm still in school. :)

HumanBIOS

PNF is a very easy consept to grasp....for front splits and box splits you are going to want to stretch the hamstrings, groin and quads!...As far as the 'pike strethes'..there is no such thing as a pike specific PNF stretch. sufficient flexibility in the muscle groups above will aid you to have the correct ROM to gain strength in the pike position.

 

example of a PNF hamstring stretch:

 

1. lie on your back and lift 1 leg up until you feel tightness or end range in your hamstrings

2. hold the leg in place with your hands and try and flex your knee without actually letting your knee flex at all.

3. hold this isometric contraction for 8 - 10 seconds at about 60% of your strength.

4. Then relax but pull your leg a fraction towards you..stretching the hamstring.

5. hold it for 30 seconds, and repeat

6. do this about 5 times and you will notice significant improvement instantly

 

for even better effect, do some myo fascial work before, just to 'de-laminate' the muscle and then you will get a better stretch! ;)

Patrick Smith

My two cents...

 

Most of what people have said here is true, however there are positions that are suitable for PNF stretches that do put certain joints at risk of being injured if they are not properly prepared. One position with this tendency is the standing side split PNF stretch. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who has not felt knee pain when doing that stretch with PNF, so I tend to feel that it should be avoided without proper preparation. Besides, Kit Laughlin's book is full of stretches that avoid this tendency and that are just as good.

irongymnast

Get Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz. It's a book.

Joshua Naterman
irongymnast said:

Get Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz. It's a book.

I have that, and Kit's materials are better.

Patrick Smith
Joshua Naterman said:

I have that, and Kit's materials are better.

Agreed. I have a number of Kurz's books, and Kit's book is definitely superior in every way.