This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090108

Started by Coach Sommer, January 8, 2009 · 14 Replies · 4,435 Views

Coach Sommer

pKMnv7eEsnQ

WOD:

Embedded PL (1-2 reps) + MU variation (3-5 reps)

Embedded BL (1-2 reps) + RLL variation (3-5 reps)

Embedded FL (1-2 reps) + L-sit lifts (3-5 reps)

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes

Perform 3 giant sets of each couplet.

Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the next exercise.

Rest 1-2 minutes between giant sets.

If muscle-ups are too easy; choose another CPP variation that is more challenging in the 3-5 rep range.

Gregor

triceps explosion in L-seat pres to V-Seat :mrgreen:

MaxPowerDK

The thumb-position if the athlete in the video seems somewhat extreme.

Is there a particular reason for it - e.g. more height off the floor? It seems "easier" on the hands to do it on flat palms or maybe parallettes.

gymrob

With regard to many of the WOD's, out of interest why is it that some exercises have 3-5 mins rest such as SLS but some exercises with the same rep range of 3-5 have 1-2 mins rest? Is it because in this case you are supposed to do it like:

Muscle up 2 mins rest, RLL 2 mins rest, L sit lift 2 mins rest until 3 sets are done for each exercise.

Thankyou.

Coach Sommer

You should complete each of the 3 giants sets for a given couplet prior to moving on to the next couplet.

The length of the rest periods will be an indication of the level of effort which should be expended during a given set. 3-5 minute rest periods indicate that the level of effort should be maximal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gymrob

Thanks for that coach, it certainly cleared up my confusions!

Many thanks.

Ricky Dawson

Hi Coach and everyone else.

Would just like to say i'm a massive fan of the book and for the first time tonight tried a WOD. I was going to work muscle ups and levers tonight and as soon as i saw this workout i thought it fitted in perfectly.

LOVED the workout, felt so much better than just making it up as i went along. It kept me focused and i feel it gave me a great session, thanks coach.

On the RLL, i chose to do the one in the headstand with pike. I feel it a great deal (in a good way) in my abs opposed to the lower back, does this mean anything i should know about? I was able to do two sets of five and a 3 so i presume this is not beyond me, does it just mean my abs are weaker? I do KB swings for my other type of training so presume my lower back is in decent shape.

That is all i have to add, looking forward to the next workout. 8)

Ricky, London, England

Mats Trane

First of all, the wait for the book was worth every day. I got so much insparation from it.

One question please explain what you mean by embedded? I´ve tried to find it in the book but i cant find it.

For exampel embedded planch

Phil Stablein

Check in the back, in the programming section, for info on embedded stuff. I don't have the book handy to tell you the page number, but its back there, I promise.

matthew.percussion
cdx said:
First of all, the wait for the book was worth every day. I got so much insparation from it.

One question please explain what you mean by embedded? I´ve tried to find it in the book but i cant find it.

For exampel embedded planch

Page 173-174.

Nobodystopsdblob

WOD

Embedded PL (1-2 reps) + MU variation (3-5 reps) tuck planche 5 secs + 3 high pull ups, 3 low dips and a negative MU

Embedded BL (1-2 reps) + RLL variation (3-5 reps) Tuck back lever 5 secs + RLL with 15lbs 5 5 5

Embedded FL (1-2 reps) + L-sit lifts (3-5 reps) Tuck front lever 5 seconds + tucked l sit lifts, sort of 3 3 3

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes

Perform 3 giant sets of each couplet.

Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the next exercise.

Rest 1-2 minutes between sets.

If muscle-ups are too easy; choose another CPP variation that is more challenging in the 3-5 rep range.

* Snatch balance + 2 overhead squats - 65% (of snatch balance) x 3 sets 135 135 135

* Tall snatch - 35% (of snatch) x 2 x 3 45 45 45 (3 reps per set)

* Pull-ups - 3 x max skipped

* Hanging leg raises - 3 x 15 skipped

Maybe I am the only who has this problem but the L sits lifts even tucked were terrible, but at that rep range the v sit is just not challenging enough. When I was doing the lifts it almost looked like I was sort of rocking back and forth, I was not really getting any lift. I am obviously not strong enough for the exercise so should I just up the reps of the v sit or just keep plugging away at the tucked l sit lifts?

Thanks

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is to attempt to complete the family of movement as assigned. In my opinion, the best way to expose and correct a weakness is to address it head-on.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ricky Dawson

Hi Coach,

Is it normal for me to feel the 'abs' working a lot more than the lower back in the HeS-RLL? It feels like a very good workout but want to make sure i'm not performing it wrong. :oops:

Also, upon reading you book last night on p. 172 (i think) it states that once you can hold a static position for 15 seconds its time to move on to the next :? . I and i think a few others are under the impression that in the tuck planche for instance a 1 min single hold should be obtained before moving to the advanced tuck...? i thought this also applied to the levers too? could you please provide clarification?

thank you, Ricky

Coach Sommer

There are many different ways to approach static strength training. For the easier static strength variations, it is often easiest to simply build up to one long set of 60 seconds. For more difficult variations, you will usually get faster strength gains by coupling shorter static holds with an appropriate exercise as with our embedded static workouts.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer, all ---

My first post here!

3X: Tuck PL on paralletes @ 10sec + 3 MU

3X: Tuck BL x 2 + 5 RLL @ 2 X 2.5 ankle weights

3X: Tuck FL x 2 + 5 L-sit lifts

--- The planche FRIED my muscle-ups, though maybe it's lack of recent practice?

--- I managed to extend to full BL for last 2 reps; turning out the hands and wedging the triceps onto the lats was critical.

--- I think I could have upped the weights on the RLL another 25%?

--- An extended FL still seems like a fantasy.

best,

jason