Parallel bars handstand skill work

Started by pashamur, March 9, 2013 · 1 Replies · 2,932 Views

pashamur

In practice these days I've been mostly working on parallel bar skills. I've been mostly training peach/basket type things, though those tend to abuse the hands a bit, and working on a more consistent swing to handstand. 

 

Today, I tried handstand wall runs against the wall on a pair of mini parallel bars - and I'm guessing those are pretty good for pirouette work above the bars. I also tried wall runs on a single bar/rail, which was interesting - I didn't try the high-bar like wall runs, but it seems like those might be useful as well. I was wondering whether there were any more similar exercises that build up to bigger skills later - for example healy, diam, stutz, etc. I'm guessing it's important to be able to quickly spot the bars and adjust your hands to actually grab them - I was thinking of  jumping to a low parallel bar handstand for training the "spotting the bar" type of reaction. Or maybe seat drop - stutz on the tramp for the same thing.

 

Does anyone have any more pbar handstand-type drills? Or alternatively, basket/peach drills that aren't brutal on the hands?

Blairbob

 Well, free handstand on a single rail is quite difficult. We often spot the girls on them or wall runs (or they do it on a wall).

 

 Walking on PB. Don't mess up.

 

 Generally 

 FX pirouette, PB pirouette and done in reverse for a full 1/1 on PB, Single rail HS. We train single rail pirouettes with feet off a wall or spotters.