This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Previous injuries & F1 / H1 - lower your start point

Started by edna, March 9, 2013 · 11 Replies · 348 Views

edna

Hi guys,

 

Maybe prior injuries could be addressed in some way in the course, unless I missed something in my rush to get working.

 

People who have started at wk1 day1 seem very smart to me now.

 

My forearms have started to hurt after starting too high on pushups and rows (I think) - and having a previous injury which I mistakenly thought was ok. Maybe I am guilty of deluding myself :facepalm: .

 

Maybe consider starting at least a lower PE level than you can test for mastery if you have prior issues. Be very careful and concsious as the volume/intensity ramp especially wks 9-12 for example.

 

Just my thoughts & maybe will help someone improve their foresight. ;)

 

Cheers

FredInChina

Thanks for sharing your learning experience Edna, it is not easy to let go of ego, and even less easy to admit having made that kind of mistake. :)

I am sure this will be useful to many, whether they say it or not........................... B)

edna

haha still a win for F1 :D - at least I wasn't doing muscle ups, false grip pullups or headstand pushups.

Klaudius Petrulis

I left my ego at the door. And having a few injuries (right shoulder is wonky, both forearms have tendinitis/tendinosis) I think easing into any program is a good idea. 

 

Think about it like driving a car: sure, you could drive 120MPH to get somewhere, but would it be safe? Especially when you know your car has mechanical issues?

 

I'm glad you posted this topic, as people need a constant reminder in my opinion.

kasanya

I'm still rehabbing some issues with a shoulder injury and found the upper body F1 too much in addition to my physio exercises. I'm slowly learning to listen when my body says "no more!", so those are on the back burner for now. It sucks, but not as much as re-injuring myself would... *grumbles*

On the upside (???), my limiting factor is more mobility than strength, so this gives me more time to spend on the iM exercises. =P

m6shifter

I would like to sub rings for the bench dips. Where dips a 5r or 10r I cant remember. That 1 I might have to leave the EGO at the door. And a bunch of others also lol.

SuperBru

I can see how someone would be tempted to start at a higher level. I was tempted because I had 3 months weight training and 1 month calisthenics training experience. I've decided to start from the beginning no matter what. As Coach always says check your ego at the door.

Coach Sommer
m6shifter said:

... I would like to sub rings for the bench dips ...

 

Absolutely not.  This is a very bad idea.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Klaudius Petrulis

As Coach said, it's not a good idea. I'm not sure if you're injured or not, but removing bench dips from the programming WILL affect your progress.

Why do you want to sub them?

m6shifter

Ok    will stick with bench dips

Keilani Gutierrez

i'll have to look for the way to do parallel bar dips since i dont have any building some would be epic.

thecolin
Super Saiyan said:

I can see how someone would be tempted to start at a higher level. I was tempted because I had 3 months weight training and 1 month calisthenics training experience. I've decided to start from the beginning no matter what. As Coach always says check your ego at the door.

In a sense you're lucky. Since you have so little strength training experience, you didn't have enough time to injure yourself. Now you get to start off at the beginning with an excellent program and build up your strength without injury.

 

I've only been training for under two years and the little signs of injuries are just starting to pop up here and there, so this program came along at the perfect time for me. Since I've been on the program the popping in my left knee and right elbow have almost disappeared and the slight pain in my right bicep/scapula are almost gone as well.