Confused about how to keep balanced

Started by Guest, March 8, 2013 · 2 Replies · 2,890 Views

Guest

I've  found that numerous gymnasts at my gym keep balanced through their fingers (to keep themselves from falling over) and by bending their arms just slightly (to keep themselves from falling back). Is that the right way to do it or am I JUST supposed to use my shoulders to balance?

 

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find a topic that explained it..

Crunluath

When your handstands are very good, balancing only requires slight movements in your fingers and palms while the rest of your body remains stacked upon your shoulders and hips.  At earlier stages, you will have to make larger adjustments throughout your body.  This process will be made easier if your focus on tensing your glutes, thighs, and pointing your toes.  Do your very best to not bend your elbows at any point in your handstand, as that is a very bad habit and will prevent you from making real progress.  You  may also need to move slightly at the hips to adjust your center of gravity.  Once you have developed a good body line (from lots of wall handstands!) you will need to do this less and less and will be able to balance by movements in only your hands.  Coach put up an excellent post about transitioning from a wall handstand to a freestanding handstand some years ago.  Give that a read and see if that doesn't help you as well.  Good luck!

Joshua Slocum
sse94 said:

I've  found that numerous gymnasts at my gym keep balanced through their fingers (to keep themselves from falling over) and by bending their arms just slightly (to keep themselves from falling back). Is that the right way to do it or am I JUST supposed to use my shoulders to balance?

 

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find a topic that explained it..

 

Bending of the arms is a sign that their balance falls short of mastery. An excellent handstand is balanced almost entirely from the wrist (i.e. by putting pressure into the fingers or the palms to correct balance); the elbows and knees never bend, and the shoulders should ideally stay "locked".