Along with handstands (I'm doing HS1) I want to practice some other elementary skills. I'm doing elbow stand and elbow leaver but what other skills can I attempt that don't require too much flexibility or experience?
Cheers
Started by Murray Truelove, March 7, 2013 · 7 Replies · 2,872 Views
Along with handstands (I'm doing HS1) I want to practice some other elementary skills. I'm doing elbow stand and elbow leaver but what other skills can I attempt that don't require too much flexibility or experience?
Cheers
Airbabies perhaps? A full airbaby is not super easy but the progression is very transparant. Take care of those wrists, though!
Nice!
Found a good progression too:
http://idoportal.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/pulling-and-air-babies.html
Some good basic exercises are frogstands, press leans, headstands, forward rolls, and candlesticks.
Cheers Hari.
Side levers or qdr, air chair. Get your bridge good and you can do the Mexican and later a tucked handstand variation.
Air babies are always awesome--I like the fact people are practicing these more because as far as I know B-boys made them popular lol.
QDR/Side chairs, air chairs, shoulder freezes/stands, frog stand variations.
Really just play around with different arm positioning/bases as well as changing up leg positioning. For ex: straddle, straight legs, tuck, "nike" (one leg bent, one leg extended), one leg crossed, both legs bent but in a "butterfly" position.
If you are primarily interested in hand balancing, then you could practice different entrances to the handstand e.g. tuck ups, single and double leg kickups, as well as the all important standing straddle press. Once in a handstand you can should practice moving your legs in patterns (HS/SE5/11/13).
If hand balancing is your main goal, the limited amount of time you can spend on your hands in a given day is valuable. Until you have built up a good freestanding handstand, I would focus on nothing else. Practice wall handstands and handstand wall runs until you literally hate walls. When your wrists are tired, use pushup bars. When your arms are tired, work on hollow body holds. Once you've got a good strong freestanding handstand and some decent work capacity on your hands, then play around with airbabys and the like. Until then, stay focused on the handstand. It will give you more bang for your buck than anything else.