What type of exercises should I be doing? I've been trying to hold a straddle planche but every time I try to straighten out my hips I hold for like a second and then I drop
Help me achieve my planche
Started by homegymnast, March 6, 2013 · 15 Replies · 5,632 Views
I'm not sure why this is in the handstand section but... what reference are you working off of? The BtGB book? Foundations 1?
Yeah, may be a mistake in this forum. Anyway what does your workout look like? And do you have straight arms?
There are literally hundreds of posts about the planche. Do a search. I bet your problem has been encountered before. Also if you want a planche get the Foundation Series it lays out the exact steps to get it.
A planche is not something you just try and are able to do. It takes time to develop. For some people several years.
Homegymnast, it would be helpful if you could post a video so we can see exactly what's happening. The short version is that you should be doing lots of PPP's, lots of planches in an advanced tuck, and lots of planche leans.
Daniel Burnham said:Also if you want a planche get the Foundation Series it lays out the exact steps to get it.
Not everyone wants to take the road less traveled. Foundation is a path that emphasizes a superlative level of mobility and control. It leads you to mastering a straddle planche. Perhaps the OP just wants to hold a short straddle planche for yucks and doesn't want to spend 4-6 years developing a perfect one. If he's as far along as he says he is (a 1s hold), it should be just a matter of months of the right training before he can hold one for several seconds.
Zach Armijo said:A poor 1 second hold trained over months is asking for injury with a still piss poor planche. Something to be learned or to be heeded.
I don't think anyone here is telling the OP to keep trying to hold the straddle. But if he does have a legitimate 1s hold (as opposed to pausing momentarily in the position), he should be able to increase that to several seconds fairly easily with the right training.
I would recomend to get F1 and later F2-4. They will teach you the how to get the PL the proper and safe way.
Without a video it's hard to tell but my guess is that your are not leaning enough.
Check these posts:
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5959-scapula-position-for-basic-and-static-exercises/
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10258-planche-why-lean-so-much/#entry98723
OP, hold this for 60sec with perfect form and then move on to a tuck planche, then once you do that move on to a flat tuck..
Zach Armijo said:I guess what I'm saying is that if your planche breaks the second you extend to straddle, anything you do to train it that way will not come out productive. I am aware of doing 1s holds then growing from there, but I would advise against doing so given the hints of a weak foundation unless we are otherwise shown/noted.
I think we are in agreement. My recommendation was basically that he focus on prerequisite exercises and stick to advanced tuck holds for the present.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxNEn7nFG8&sns=em
Sorry I'm in my underwear it was late and I didn't feel like putting on pants
Yep, you definitely need to work the flat tuck!
edit: on second view here, you seem to be extending those legs back pretty far..
Is your right wrist hurting already? ![]()
(Nope, that is not in reference to your underwear, but because you are grimacing and shaking it at the end
)
Work flat tuck planche alongside the foundation series and perhaps consider handstand one.
Working through F1-4 sPL mobility progressions will develop the active flexibility and hip strength required for the straddle.
Working through the F1-4 sPL strength progressions will develop the shoulder girdle strength required.
H1 will help develop your wrists to the point where you can successfully train for the sPL without injury however I imagine the Foundation Series alone as laid out will develop this for the sPL also.
I would work your flat tuck planche alongside F1 but put F1 as a priority. I used to want to train at my max when I first started weight lifting. It's a male thing I think. Training at your max is not conducive to long term strength gains in my experience.
Thanks for your advice guy
dbirchall said:.. I used to want to train at my max when I first started weight lifting. It's a male thing I think. Training at your max is not conducive to long term strength gains in my experience.
Seek your limits and you will find them. It isn't entirely a male thing, but definitely seems more prevalent with our gender.
People tend to treat strength training like stacking bricks, stay at the top of your pile and keep piling one brick at a time on the top. What they don't realize is that by taking that approach at some point your pile will tumble (aka injury). Instead, spend time further down, on those lower levels ("Foundation" anyone?), and make your base wider ... suddenly your pile can be much taller.
- Chris
You definitely need to not be reaching for straddle yet. You are not ready.