This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2 and HS/PE2>iM Form Check

Started by Sven Ravnstag, March 6, 2013 · 7 Replies · 321 Views

Sven Ravnstag

I'd appreciate feedback on my form here.  Some things I'm aware of:

 

1) The piking.  It takes a lot of effort for me to maintain the proper pelvic alignment (I tend towards anterior pelvic tilt), and I'm getting the feel for tucking under vs. piking.  Any tips on getting this right?

 

2) The non-weighted broom.  This is only a substitute until I can get a 2.5 and 5lb plate.  All I have currently is 10lb and as I can't complete the ROM with even an empty bar, 10lb is entirely too much at the moment.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35A1zGROjM&feature=youtu.be

 

PS:  The video linked here is unlisted, so only those with access to this forum should be able to see it.

 
Daniel Shields

HS/PE4 is addressed at teaching proper posterior pelvic tilt, as are many of the later iM. I expect that not including PPT work right from the beginning was a compromise due to the importance of getting the shoulders opened up as soon as possible, but  incorporating some of the later PPT exercises now would likely be helpful.

Keilani Gutierrez

I agree with Daniel. helping me a lot as of late are swivel hips and PPT while doing the PE's and iM's. posture has improved and standing with my feet straight doesn't feel as wierd as it did a few weeks ago. #thumbsup

 

work upto the weight eventually, but you do want to do something a little challenging to engage those muscles. i don't know to what degree you'd need to start, perhaps a more knowledgable forum member or coach can state what weight to begin with. i think 3-5lb was something Coach had mentioned to start with in another topic but i forgot which one.

FredInChina

Very nice; and good music too :)

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks to everyone for their input.  The videos included in HS 1 are outstanding, but it's very useful to have some third party feedback when perfection is the goal.

 

Fred-  Thank you!  It's "Mozart" searched on Pandora. No better training music IMO, especially when your training requires focus and attention to detail.

Nic Branson

3-5lbs is a good start, even one 2.5lbs plate will be noticable. Just enough to get the muscles firing.

I don't want to say to ignore the piking, but first get a bit comfortable being inverted there. You know you're piking and have a pelvic tilt concern. Keep working all your current IM's and make the correction slowly.

rjay

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and GB.  In regards to form, how strict are we to follow the HS/PE2 video as it shows getting into headstand from a kneeling position which I can't do unless I push off to get a little momentum going with my feet?  The boy in the video uses no momentum.  Your video shows starting the headstand kicking up from you feet.  Is this ok?  Also, in HS/PE2 >IM must we attain perfect form with the bar level with the shoulders until we can advance to HS/PE 3?  Thus far I am holding the bar no where near parallel to my shoulders.  Any clarification is much appeciated  

Sven Ravnstag

I've done one HS session since posting the video, and in that session I noticed/began addressing both the kick up as well as my hand position.  I found that altering where my hands were (moving them further away from my head) increased my stability and allowed me to "muscle" my way into the final position rather than kicking up.

 

One of the things I like about starting conservatively in HS and Foundation is that it allows you time to observe, reflect upon, and improve these minor details which, in the end, may not be so minor after all.