This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation One Weekly Progress Question

Started by mskurdah1, March 6, 2013 · 11 Replies · 754 Views

mskurdah1

Hi all:

 

I just started Foundation One this week.  I'm finding that I have some inconsistent abilities across the different exercises.  

 

I could confidently move past the incline pushups for HBP/PE1 using the mastery standard.

 

BUT.....

 

 

I have not yet done a single Deck Squat that I would consider even remotely "good form."  At best, when I stand up I end up taking a hop backwards, pull up on one leg, or have to curl my arms around when I roll to get enough momentum to stand up.  I've watched the video about 20x and think I understand what it's supposed to look like -- I just don't seem to do it yet (I experimented last week before starting with similar results, although I did somewhat better today).  I'm really hoping no one is filming me at the health club for a comedy video.

 

Also, on the tuck up my form stinks.  I tend to wobble unless I rush it.  Not a nice even slow tuck up like in the video.

 

Sorry if I missed the instructions on what to do in this case.  If at the end of a particular week if you don't do an exercise according to that week's standard (e.g. week one 3 reps of deck squats) do you repeat the week?  

 

Also, I assume that  if you have "mastered" a certain week in advance do you immediately skip to PE2?

 

And finally, if a week calls for a certain number of reps/seconds and you feel like you can go for more are you supposed to?

 

Thanks for the advice/help.

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

-move to the according PE/iM where you demonstrate mastery. 

 

-PE's and iM's have to both be mastered to the respective mastery template to get the clear to move onto the next progression(this is to promote mobility/strength, joint health and to avoid injuries that could be caused by a disbalance of excessive mobility or excessive strength(which is why for a lot of PE's, i can perform mastery in strength but i am held back to moblity and others i have the mobility but not the strength)

 

-depending on how you're doing in your week (failing a rep or two) or failing complete sets, will dictate if you repeat a cycle or not. remember, this is as much reprogramming correct movement patterns as it is strength and mobility, so it will depend on where you are.

 

-test your current ability, if it falls short, just start at week 1,5 or 9 depending on where you are. word of caution, take into account how abruptly the volume goes up during the week in accordance to your skill, some things might sneak up on ya or not give enough chance for the mobility aspect of a particular element to catch up.

 

other forum members will give you their 2cents as well :)

Klaudius Petrulis

If I have a 'bad' rep I just re-do the rep until I get a proper repetition. Now, if on week 11 you cannot complete the mastery level with perfect form, then you should rerun that last month's cycle until you can.

 

If you are proficient at an exercise AND the mobility piece, and manage to show mastery, then you can move on to the next level.

FredInChina
Klaudius Petrulis said:

If I have a 'bad' rep I just re-do the rep until I get a proper repetition. (...)

 

Good point - I have been doing that too; only counting the "good reps" is a nice incentive to improve if you want to go to go to bed early. ;)

Klaudius Petrulis
FredInChina said:

Good point - I have been doing that too; only counting the "good reps" is a nice incentive to improve if you want to go to go to bed early. ;)

I wish I had a bed. I had to get rid of it to put in my stall bars.  Now I hang upside down for 8 hours instead :ph34r:

Keilani Gutierrez
Klaudius Petrulis said:

I wish I had a bed. I had to get rid of it to put in my stall bars. Now I hang upside down for 8 hours instead :ph34r:

that must be so good for your spine, bro

FredInChina
Klaudius Petrulis said:

(...) I hang upside down for 8 hours instead :ph34r:

 

Batman? Is that you? comics_batman_01.gif

mskurdah1

Thanks all -  I appreciate the suggestions.  We'll see if I can finally do one of those deck squats today ha ha.

Richard Sassoon

I was just having a doubt concerning the "good" reps. That is what I'm doing now, specially for deck squats and tuck-ups. It really burns when we discard the bad reps haha

 

My question is, if you manage to complete week's 11 reps, but with a few bad ones in between, do you consider it mastered? Let's say you needed 20 reps to get those 15 good reps, is that ok or we have to show a continuous display of good reps for all 5 sets?

 

Today on my last set of tuck ups (week 9) I had to repeat my 10th rep a few times and it was tough...

Jennifer
we have to show a continuous display of good reps for all 5 sets

 

This is what I understand mastery to be.

Richard Sassoon
Jennifer said:

This is what I understand mastery to be.

This is one of those questions that we know the answer already but have a hard time realizing that...