This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

"For a very few"?

Started by Erik Rissanen, March 5, 2013 · 17 Replies · 976 Views

Erik Rissanen

I'm curious about one thing in H1. In the balancing section it says that the 120s free handstand is "for a very few, hard working, dedicated students". What is meant by this?

 

Is it that most people do not have the genetics to meet this goals, or do you expect most students to just give up because they do not have the dedication?

 

Just curious. I will for sure work hard to reach it. :P

Christian

My money is on the give up option.

Adriano Augusto

Purchase the course doesn't mean completed it, or even be hard working-dedicated. Isn't nothing about genetics, is about willpower and hard work.

Nic Branson

Lack of patience and work ethic. Handstands can be incredibly frustrating at times. It's your ability to take it in stride and keep working that will allow you reach the goal.

 

Genetics don't factor in.

Joshua Slocum

Staying dedicated to a single training program for 5+ years can be really tough, too. 

Coach Sommer

Most people prefer to play with the rocks at the bottom of the mountain; rather than putting in the actual effort and sacrifice needed to climb it.  As a result most people fail through a lack of trying; not a lack of ability.

 

In all my years of training high level elite athletes, I have found this to be consistently true; if you take care of today, tomorrow tends to take care of itself.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Erik Rissanen

Thanks, it's clear. I just thought it a sort of funny thing to read in the course materials, that most are expected to fail the course, without any explanation to as why. :huh:

Arto

.

Sven Ravnstag

I appreciate the candor of the comment, and I took it as a bit of a personal challenge.  It's a refreshing change from most other fitness materials, which prefer to over-promise and over-market in an attempt to sensationalize away their lack of substance.

 

I'm grateful to Coach Sommer for telling us like it is, that we will work hard for a long time to achieve Olympic-level mastery of challenging feats of gymnastic strength.  It resonates with me in a way that promises of guerrilla traps and accomplishments that have never been demonstrated do not (One arm handstand pushup?).

Erik Rissanen

Yes, I also like that H1 really makes it clear that balancing is a hard skill to get, and it takes lots of effort and one may stall at times. It's good to know that, so one is prepared for it and ready to persist.

Patrick Smith
Coach Sommer said:

In all my years of training high level elite athletes, I have found this to be consistently true; if you take care of today, tomorrow tends to take care of itself.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wow, that is a very nice way of saying it. What a fundamental attitude that everyone should have.

Jon Douglas

'Funny thing about luck (results). The harder you work and the better you prepare, the luckier you seem to be.'

Klaudius Petrulis

Just because I bought convict conditioning doesn't mean I got to all 6 of the 'master steps' ;)

 

I was going for it but then F1 and H1 sidetracked me :P

Crunluath
Erik Rissanen said:

Thanks, it's clear. I just thought it a sort of funny thing to read in the course materials, that most are expected to fail the course, without any explanation to as why. :huh:

I think you're being a little glass half empty here.  I believe Coach's perspective when writing this was more to let the people who do succeed in this goal know how wonderful of an achievement it is.  It is a preemptive pat on the back for those who have the discipline and focus to put in the years of work it takes to be able to perform five technically correct two-minute handstands with only short breaks in between.  I don't think he was making any comment on those who don't make it that far.  

Jon Douglas
Klaudius Petrulis said:

Just because I bought convict conditioning doesn't mean I got to all 6 of the 'master steps' ;)

 

I was going for it but then F1 and H1 sidetracked me :P

Dare you to find someone who sticks to CC for a couple years, and compare the result to what you have in the same time frame.

Klaudius Petrulis
Charm said:

Dare you to find someone who sticks to CC for a couple years, and compare the result to what you have in the same time frame.

Oh man I would love to do that! I would also love to compare mobility ;)

thenail001

If I have to fail 100 times before I succeed, then I look forward to failure.  I'm one step closer to success.

wheezer

I read some stats about personal development books a while ago. Apparently a very small percentage of people who buy a self-help book actually start reading it, even fewer get halfway through the book, even fewer read the whole book, even fewer take any action on the book, and even fewer schedule in regular action to achieve a result.

 

Moral of the story is - even if only 1% of people have success - it often doesn't take much to get into that 1%.

 

In terms of success/failure, I like to take time out of the equation. When you do that, there is no failure. Do the cycles, and repeat mini-cycle whenever you need. Enjoy your training and there is nothing but success.