tucked BL to tucked planche?

Started by seiyafan, March 5, 2013 · 10 Replies · 3,022 Views

seiyafan

In tucked BL position, when I pressed down with my arms, my body would rotate around shoulders and I would end up in a tucked inverted position, how do I go without this rotation and just go up vertically and press up from tucked BL to tucked planche? I guess this is more difficult to do, I am not sure which muscles to engage. 

alec_ar

Much more difficult. A tuck BL=>tuck PL is very difficult for us non gymnasts. I believe a full lay is around E skill level. I work the movement with support on my forearms and even then it is intense.

One of the things I would try is to do eccentrics as slowly as you can from tuck PL to tuck BL, with proper form (elbows locked, protraction, hips level).

thenail001

I don't think most of us are at a level to even try this without hurting ourselves.

pashamur

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what you're describing is significantly harder than an iron cross even, or a cross pull. So unless you have those, and are proficient at them, I think you're jumping in over your head :)

seiyafan

That's reassuring.  :D

Paolo
seiyafan said:

In tucked BL position, when I pressed down with my arms, my body would rotate around shoulders and I would end up in a tucked inverted position, how do I go without this rotation and just go up vertically and press up from tucked BL to tucked planche? I guess this is more difficult to do, I am not sure which muscles to engage. 

The movement you describe is called a pelican:

B1214N
alec_ar said:

Much more difficult. A tuck BL=>tuck PL is very difficult for us non gymnasts. I believe a full lay is around E skill level. I work the movement with support on my forearms and even then it is intense.

One of the things I would try is to do eccentrics as slowly as you can from tuck PL to tuck BL, with proper form (elbows locked, protraction, hips level).

It's even a F if done without the stretch reflex (starting from BL).

alec_ar

I dont think he is referring to a pelican, I assumed he's talking about a straight arm horizontal press out of a back lever into a planche...

@B1214N, would it be an F skill even if you don't pause in the Maltese? I thought pressing straight through to planche would be one level lower idk.

seiyafan

Yeah, I was thinking more of a straight arm press, I guess I will reconsider it once I become as strong as Batman. 

Joshua Slocum

That press might actually be even harder in a tucked position than laid out, since the vertical travel is greater and I think the shoulder angle is even more disadvantaged. 

B1214N
alec_ar said:

@B1214N, would it be an F skill even if you don't pause in the Maltese? I thought pressing straight through to planche would be one level lower idk.

I think they changed it because I remember seeing both of them rated E if lowered into back lever and F if started without lowering to back lever, but it only showed to maltese irc. Previously, it was rated E if BL to Planche and F if BL to maltese. Sorry, I can't find the sources/code of points chart.