Working on putting together my home gym. Currently everything I have is outside - rings, squat rack, olympic bars and bumper plates, kettlebells, clubbells, grip training stuff, and other implements of destruction. This is not ideal. I have made it work for the last year, but I would like to get some shelter up and be able to expand.
I have a little over 3 acres of property to work with, but it is a very steeply sloped hill with lots of redwood trees. There are a couple of small cleared flat areas - maybe 20' x 10' and 12' x 14' in size respectively but neither are really ideal locations. Not sure if clearing a new building site is going to be viable though so I am looking at two possible paths - either getting it down to a small enough building size that it could be viable, or just continuing with my outdoor based setup.
My intended use is for myself as well as my youngest son (currently a 7.5 year old level 4) to be able to practice at home. I am sure my oldest son will want to use it to, but he isn't comptetively focused so whatever my needs are should be fine for him. I want my youngest to be able to condition at home, not so much work on skills - except for those that can be safely trained without a trained gymnastics coach nearby.
I am looking at the following questions and was hoping others here might have insight to share.
1) I need to figure out what is the minimum building size necessary and had some questions about the following equipment.
- Rings :: The rings I have are okay, but I would like to get a full regulation ring frame setup. However, this takes up approximately 18' in width by about 13' in length from what I could find (accomodating the tie-down cables). Two possibilities here that I was entertaining: A.) save a bit on the width by putting the edge of the ring frame against the building wall B.) hang the rings from a ceiling beam over the floor rather than use a ring frame. Is there any disadvantage to either of these approaches?
- Pommel Horse :: I want to have a competition sized pommel. Does this have to be secured to the floor? Are there any that are portable and meet the size and stability requirements of gymnastic use?
- Parallel Bars :: Same question here as for the pommel - does it need to be secured or are their portable units that are stable enough and properly sized?
- Floor :: I want to get a spring floor installed but am unsure about the size it should be. Is 20' x 20' acceptable or can I go smaller? The limitation will be for what my little gymnast needs as he gets older. I don't want to undersize this component but I am not really sure what a good minumum would be either.
There are some other things I want to get into this mix as well, but they would all mount on walls and not be a real issue in determining building size. The biggest svings would be if I could get the rings hung from a ceiling beam, and have a portable pommel and p-bar set that could be moved onto the floor as needed. Is this even possible, or does the spring floor make that a non-option?
2) Barring being able to get a building put up I would need to figure out a way to make my outdoor setup work. In that case the following questions are what come to mind.
- Pommel Horse :: Are any of the units out there capable of withstanding being stored outdoors?
- Parallel Bars :: Same basic question here. Anything suitable for outside? I could build a set from wood, but what size would I want to make them? Seems I would need the adjustable nature of the competition units to accommodate myself and my boys.
- Mats :: The landing pads would be the biggest issue. Is anything made suitable for gymnastics in an outdoor environment?
Hopefully some folks here have experience in setting this stuff up. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.
- Chris