When to start training the backward roll to support on rings

Started by Blairbob, January 6, 2009 · 1 Replies · 2,726 Views

Blairbob

Just wondering, when would some of you start teaching the backward roll to support on rings with bent arms in tucked or piked position? Should one use a false grip or not? I can't remember if we worked it using the false grip or not.

We used to train this on a pair of low rings and jumping or kicking to initiate much like little kids practice their pullovers on lower bars.

Any idea? I figure sometime after a muscle-up is attained and when a decent amount of dip strength is achieved but I'm not really sure how much is necessary to complete this element.

I figured it would be a good idea to be able to do this before attempting a birdie-up or shoot, roll backwards to support much like a 3/4 giant/baby giant/long hang pullover on High/Uneven Bars.

Gregor

YOu mean strenght element correct?

We allways done a straight body roll, never tucked, sometimes piked. And grip is normal.

Here is alot of depend on a tehnic of tehnic to set up the rings under your chests and turning rings tu under grip (on under grip you can not have a false grip).

Elements you required:

1.chin/pull up

2.good full ROM reverse front lever (to rise your legs from chin up or pull up)

3.good under grip very low ring dip

I suggest to spot on the chest when the gymnast is in "swallow-bent arm" position (just befor the legs go down), so he won't fell down trough rings.

You can do pike way to, I would never do tuck, beacuse it so small diffrent...