This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2>iM Shoulder grinding

Started by Michael Ho, March 2, 2013 · 14 Replies · 535 Views

Michael Ho

About the Xiapeng Forward, I seem to be getting a grinding feeling in my right shoulder when doing this exercise.

 

It grinds mostly in the part where the arm is behind the body coming back to the starting position.

 

This doesn't happen in my left arm...

 

My right shoulder also sometimes clicks when doing certain exercises - for example at the bottom of a pushup it might click a little.

Keilani Gutierrez

a similar thing was happening to me while doing the Stiff leg windmills. it's gone down significantly, as long as it doesn't cause pain or impede you in making the movement go smoothly, you don't have a problem.

 

if there's pain, there is a problem. 

 

keep it up, my friend! 

Klaudius Petrulis

I would personally not try to be so strict on the form.  It could be an ROM issue. It could be something else.  Either way, ease into it :D

Michael Ho

Thanks for the replies, did them today and I think they feel a little better.

 

Kept the weight the same on them, was thinking of lowering it for my right but I decided to just go with it if it wasnt a problem.

 

Also the clicking during the pushups wasn't as noticeable as last time, so my shoulder must be getting better :)

Hercules

With the xiaopeng forward make sure you're externally rotating your arm (turning your palm up) when your arm is in front or your body, and internally rotating (turning the pinkie up) when your arm reaches your ear and when you're turning backwards. Don't forget to rotate the torso. Together it makes the movement feel much smoother.

 

I have been doing it very frequently unweighted just because I like it so much, and at the start that really helped make it smoother.

Joshua Naterman

ALso make sure you aren't reaching behind the line from shoulder to shoulder. That will cause problems. The torso twist is what points your arm forward and back, not a ton of shoulder abduction or adduction. Your inner elbow should be facing straight up in the front (180 degrees from the floor) and maybe around 10-45 degrees lower (so still pointed up, but not quite as much perhaps... this depends on what feels best to you).

 

The forearm pronates and supinates, so in the front your palm will be up and in the back your palm will be down.

 

Keep us updated on how it feels!

Michael Ho

Thanks Slizz, didn't really understand you at first but after doing the movement again I did.

 

So I realised with my right that I do usually turn my head a lot more than when I do the Xiapoeng with left arm...

This was shifting the line out and thus causing a lot of grinding I think.

Fixed this, theres still grinding sometimes from when the shoulder goes from front to back, but its not as bad.

 

Thanks :D

Hercules

Things take time to improve. 

Joshua Naterman said:

The forearm pronates and supinates, so in the front your palm will be up and in the back your palm will be down.

I find elbow pit up or down doesn't really mean much when actually moving. It's easier just to cue it with supination/prontation.

 

I have question though. I feel like my arm wants to be in line with my body when it is behind me - like the top of a german hang - and staying on that line as it moves forward. Is this correct? Or should I let it go out to the side?

I feel I'm doing it as Joshua describes - and for me it makes it waay smoother.

George Launchbury

Don't know if it helps, but this is how I cue this iM (right hand in this example):

  1. The dumbell travels around an imaginary wheel
  2. The palm always faces the direction of travel
  3. At the top I rotate the dumbell 180deg to reset shoulder (as torso twists)
  4. Because my torso is facing left on the way up, and right on the way down, my shoulder is not actually in front or behind - in relation to the torso it is actually quite a way out to the side.

The only times my shoulder feels a little crunchy is when I am being lazy on the torso twist, and the dumbell is too far behind on the way down.

spinelli

Having real trouble with this one, both shoulders give a slight click when I bring my arm upwards but I think this is something that will just work itself out as the movement itself is pretty smooth. My left shoulder however seems to "catch" at the top, when I start to bring it down behind me it feels like something is pulling on the back of the deltoid then as I move further down so my arm is about 45 from my body pointing at the floor it gives a horrible and slightly painful click and seems to slip back into place.
I've tried altering my torso rotation, the weight used and how in line I keep the weight but all to no avail. Unfortunately I can't film myself at the moment :/
Any ideas as to supplementary stretches or muscles to foam roll I could try? 

Cheers Guys and Gals

Riku Calderón

I have not done these yet so do not really know alot.

But Hercules there said that he has done unweighted alot. Do you have pain if done this way?

spinelli

hmm it seems a little better today, if I fully rotate my shoulder so that my palm is facing upwards with thumb on the inside then it doesn't click but then of course my palm isn't facing the right way. Also if I bend to the side on the descent it doesn't click. hmm very odd

Jon Douglas

Yeah, you want your thumb on the outside when you raise and lower.

Maybe you just need to allow yourself more of a twist? Happy to have a look at your video if you can put one up.

spinelli

It's the action of moving the arm backwards and downwards that does it, If I twist so much that My shoulders come past the line of the dumbell's movement then it doesn't click but if I'm parallel or less then it does click. I can't get a video up at the moment but I shall see if I can get something sorted.

Edit: I've just noticed that the front of my deltoid is also week so I shall see if strengthening the upward portion of the movement helps

spinelli

Made a discovery on this today, I am almost totally unable to perform a xiaopeng backwards with any weight on my left side. I can do it just with the dumbbell bar thing that the plates are screwed onto which weight what 1lb maybe 2 at most. Even without weight it's pretty challenging. What's the suggested protocol here?
Should I reverse the order of the backwards and forwards in terms of which PE they are paired with?
Only work the backwards until I can perform the forwards without the horrible pain then continue with the forwards as stated in the program?

Work the backwards as a rehab tool separate from foundation?