This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Neck pressure/compression

Started by piotro, March 1, 2013 · 11 Replies · 618 Views

piotro

During HS/PE1, HS/PE2, HS/PE3. I'm quite heavy for my height and was always avoiding headstands due to feeling of compression in neck, I get a bit of grinding noise from time to time as well (well, most of my joints do that). Tried HS/PE1 today and I can do it at a level of week week 7-9, after that my neck feels a bit compressed (even though I try to put a lot of weight on elbows as a natural defense), tried briefly HS/PE2 on a semi hard bed and quite quickly neck feeling becomes bit worrisome (it could be I'm a bit overeacting, but again it is a neck, not a nail), after that I got bit more cracking noise from my neck when moving head around. It could be that my neck, neck/spine position is not good and my neck is not strong, but simply I'm rather afraid to mess it up. Anyone has similar problem?

 

I'm thinking now of continuing HS/PE1 slowly for longer than just getting mastery (always good to have stronger neck), but for now I would rather skip remaining head stand positions (not skipping associated mobility, these are great and challenging), I have freestanding handstand and no big desire to be proficient at headstands. Am I right thinking these progressions are for shoulder preparation and a small bit of balance work (and of course neck preparation for headstands), or am I going to loose some other aspects of that work?

Keilani Gutierrez

I've had neck issues since a very distinct crash on my bike around 2009. 

 

been dealing with it ever since, cracking while looking to the right, massive spasms(to the point that on a handful of occasions, I almost started crying) and the headstand PE's had me a bit worried too.

do you have a yoga mat? if not just fold a towel and put it under your head. consult your quiropractor or health specialist to check you out to see what's going on under the hood, just to make sure you're under no danger. 

 

you're just undertaking a little too much all at once, start with PE1 one week 1 and do neck circles before you begin and after everytime you get up from the Headstand PE's.  

Coach Sommer

Two things:

- Begin from week 1.

- Make losing weight a priority.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

piotro

Thanks for input.

Yes, at some point I'll have to have it checked by some professional. Just wondering now if mine problems don't originate from some other accident (as you mentioned that KeilaniG).

Will go back to week 1, that may always be a good idea when in bigger doubt.

Losing a bit of fat would be great (my sweet tooth :) feels strong), but having said that, I'm not that fat as it may have sounded, I have a bit of muscle as well (yes, GST plus eating can produce some), I just don't fit into typical gymnastics proportion (more of a Josh type :), although not that big).

Sven Ravnstag

This brings up a point I wondered about today with HS/PE2:

 

Originally when doing headstands, I was resting largely on the top of my head.  This took some of the pressure off of my arms, but I felt a bit more compression in the C-spine.  

 

Then I tried holding my head in a bit of extension (as demonstrated in the HS PE2 video), and I found that this naturally minimized the amount of weight my head supported (because I wasn't comfortable loading it with any more) and made my arms/shoulders work much harder.  I did 60sec without much effort the first way, but with the above refinement was only able to hold about 40sec.  Is this second approach correct?

FritsMB
piotro said:

.. tried briefly HS/PE2 on a semi hard bed and quite quickly neck feeling becomes bit worrisome. ...........Anyone has similar problem?

Yes, I did have a similar problem when I tried to do a HS on a semi hard bed (or a pillow); it was not a good idea. However, if I do a HS on a thin yoga mat (and concrete floor), I don't have any problems. Last time I tried it for time, I could hold a HS that way for 5 minutes. However, at 6'2" and 76 kg, I am not overweight. Therefore, be careful. You are right, it is your neck; you have only one.

Joakim Anderson

Just speaking from own experience: My neck felt similar to yours when I first started doing headstands, like my head was being squeezed together like an accordion, also weird pain, even ringing in the ears, so I went very very slowly and carefully. Now I can easily do a minute wall-assisted headstand without hands and the way there hasn't been hard at all, just moderate.

Klaudius Petrulis

I notice that if I use the top of my head for the tripod instead of my forehead there is a lot less uhhh.. discomfort and overall the movement is easier.  Is this okay?

spyro7800

Geoff
spyro7800 said:

The athlete in the H1 PE1 video is clearly using his forehead however. Yesterday I tried both using the crone and the forehead in the tripod and found the crone to be a lot more comfortable (but perhaps a bit less stable?). Are there any disadvantages to using the crone instead of the forehead?

FredInChina

I tried both today and found that with the hold on the forehead, there was more weight on the wrists. :)

With all this wrists prep, loading the wrists in the hold may be the reason for holding the tripod on the forehead?

 

I am not going to argue with Coach; if the video shows forehead, then forehead it is, unless there is an errata published.

Cole Dano

- You don't want to do HeS on a really cushioning surface, it's creates more instability and with a weak and loaded neck is a recipe for disaster

 

- HS/PE1 is excellent as it let's you work with a partially loaded neck

 

- Head position has been a subject of much argument in yoga. I have personally spend hundreds of hours in headstand and many variations of head position

 

- In my experimentation, for a long headstand there is one best head position. This is neither on the top of the head nor the forehead but rather in-between.

 

- The exact position is the Bregma Junction. This is where the bones fuse together in the skull. It is what the soft spot on a babies head becomes. If you feel with your finger tip along the crest of the skull between the top of head and forehead, you may find a small, soft divot. This is the Bregma Junction.