Monstrous strength and mobility

Started by Klaudius Petrulis, March 1, 2013 · 18 Replies · 4,065 Views

Klaudius Petrulis

Do you suppose these guys do any mobility work? I mean, you'd have to counter-balance this strength somehow.

 

I know Hannibal isn't human, so his joints are probably made out of Adamantium. But these guys seem to do some pretty dynamic movements which would put unprepared joints into the danger zone.

 

Joshua Naterman

You may not know this, but Hannibal has been training for well over 16 years.

 

His recommendations, according to an interview with him that I watched (no I don't have that link, you can find it on youtube... I don't want to spend the time finding that again!), are that you should stick with a particular exercise variation for around 6 months before you move on, so that you truly master it.

 

I don't see them do a whole lot of crazy stuff in the mobility department in any videos, but who knows what they do on their own? I would be surprised if they didn't believe in stretching.

Joshua Slocum

I can't imagine that anyone who has been training so successfully for 16 years *doesn't* have some sort of mobility elements in their workout.

Klaudius Petrulis

Thanks Joshua, I'll try and find it.

 

Anyway, all I know that if I did side to side dip-jumps both of my shoulders would fall off. Which is why I was wondering how you'd prepare for that. I'm not saying they don't do mobility, just asking if they do, what type. Because that's often lacking in these promo videos.

Keilani Gutierrez

this just gave me a goal to pass a monkey bar in a totally new way :P no more L-hang monkey business xD

edit: those one handed front lever raises were crazy! 

SuperBru
Klaudius Petrulis said:

Do you suppose these guys do any mobility work? I mean, you'd have to counter-balance this strength somehow.

 

I know Hannibal isn't human, so his joints are probably made out of Adamantium. But these guys seem to do some pretty dynamic movements which would put unprepared joints into the danger zone.

 

Check out this interview 

SuperBru
Klaudius Petrulis said:

Do you suppose these guys do any mobility work? I mean, you'd have to counter-balance this strength somehow.

 

I know Hannibal isn't human, so his joints are probably made out of Adamantium. But these guys seem to do some pretty dynamic movements which would put unprepared joints into the danger zone.

 

Heres another useful video 

Adriano Augusto

16 years of consistent training + bodyweight training + privileged genetics = Hannibal For King

 

And about street training and mobility, I don't see so much mobility in them, just bent arm strenght and of course a lot of strenght in that zone and conditioning on bars and stuff like that but nothing more. I enjoy and share the energy and respect them,, but I don't go anymore with that form of training.

 

Besides that, I have to say that Hannibal is a beast in his world.

aiken54

In light of the recent post about street workout, I think Hannibal is still an insanely powerful and strong athlete. My only caveat with him is how much he arches on his planche push ups, however that seems to work for him after 16 years. Pay attention to the amount of explosive strength he has; there is a video of him doing L sit pull ups with very good form and pulling to his chest. He is a beast

Paulo

why are multiple topic threads being created about these?? the first one was annoying enough..

Alessandro Mainente

i think that

 

16 years of consistent training + bodyweight training + privileged genetics = matteo morandi, yuri chechi, vitaly sherbo, jordan jovtchev, ivan ivankov, chen ybing, valeri liukin and so on....those are my monsters

 

great respect for calisthenic world, but they don't know how to train. i'm sure at 100000% that with Sommer progression you can build a strong, flexibile, powerful and mobile physique more that these guys!

strange things that after 16 years he can't do correct full planche? some gymnasts in the world after 16 years warm ups with full planche crosses and much more...

pashamur
alex87 said:

great respect for calisthenic world, but they don't know how to train. i'm sure at 100000% that with Sommer progression you can build a strong, flexibile, powerful and mobile physique more that these guys!

strange things that after 16 years he can't do correct full planche? some gymnasts in the world after 16 years warm ups with full planche crosses and much more...

You're quite quick to jump to assumptions. By *some gymnasts* who warm up with full planche, we're talking about a fairly small percentage of the gymnasts in the world. And it's not completely correct to judge people who train with goals that might not be linked to gymnastics per se by gymnastics standards: you wouldn't judge a rower or a high jumper by how much he can bench press, or squat. If the goal of these athletes was hypertrophy, I'd say they're doing pretty well. 

Klaudius Petrulis

So we're just chalking it up to years of training and adaptation then?

Daniel Burnham

Years of training and adaptation is how all strength occurs. There isn't some magical pathway. Though some people have good genetics that allow them to recover and synthesize muscle faster.

Klaudius Petrulis

Sorry, I should have been more clear, years of training + adaptation = strong joints? It may just be me, but when I was training with a large volume of pullups I got some pretty bad tendonitis and had to get that taken care of. I've only started easing into them again.  I really couldn't imagine working out 4+ hours a day on a bar and not develop some kind of damage without some kind of mobility programmed into my workout. That's the part I'm really interested in, and I guess unless one of us trains with these guys, we may never find out.

Samui

Calisthenics guys(Hannibal too) do lots of high rep work hence it is no surprising that guys like hannibal has experienced so much hypertrophy during those 16 years of training. He has trained almost like a bodybuilder reps and sets wise.

Alessandro Mainente

if hipertrophy is the goal they are not bad, but i really think they have some very unbalanced physique...so his training is not so good

Adriano Augusto

Coach Sommer quote:

 

 

Used wisely, time is the most potent training supplements

 

Totally agree with Zach.

Jonas H

Watching barathletes got me hung up on bodyweight training which eventually led me here. No matter what anyone says they are strong individuals. Everyone uses different approaches for gaining strength, the users on this forum uses coach Sommers approach (atleast that`s what im assuming most of us are). I don`t think anyone who isn`t at that level is qualified to deem one approach superior to the other.