This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Curious about the higher levels

Started by Joakim Anderson, March 1, 2013 · 17 Replies · 977 Views

Joakim Anderson

The Handstand One ending with a two minute handstand spawned a question in my head. What will we be able to do if we progress through the higher levels that are not yet published? Or will this be held a secret until they are available?

 

And I want to add that I am very satisfied with Handstand One, it's what I hoped it would be and I already started the work.

Coach Sommer

Sorry, no information will be forthcoming on the next Handstand Courses until they are ready for release.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum
jocke_a said:

The Handstand One ending with a two minute handstand spawned a question in my head. What will we be able to do if we progress through the higher levels that are not yet published? Or will this be held a secret until they are available?

 

And I want to add that I am very satisfied with Handstand One, it's what I hoped it would be and I already started the work.

 

If you make it all the way through handstand one, you'll almost certainly have the experience and work ethic to required to achieve any sort of hand-balancing skill you like. That said, such an achievement is years away. You'd get better use of your time if you spent it on figuring out how best to integrate H1 work into your weekly schedule. 

Arto

.

Joshua Slocum
Arto Ratilainen said:

One would assume OAS will be coming along somewhere afterwards.

Not really; OAHS isn't a gymnastics skill, so there's good reason to think it won't make any appearance at all.

 

In my opinion, H2 is more likely to head in the direction of ring handstands and presses.

Keilani Gutierrez
ewethestuff said:

Not really thinking about what's after H1 because:

1) I will be working on posterior pelvic tilt for the next 3 years.

2) LOL, okay probably the next 7 years. Seriously. I got to the pelvic tilt sections and thought, "Oh sh*t"

That said, I will probably do some very light work on presses concurrent with HS1. Just as I'm doing light work on rings elements concurrent with F1.

I second you on the posterior pelvic tilt section. thank goodness there's something I can do to address it! this is definetely what I was asking for when I made the self commitment to be the best I can be physically, the hard work has been done(creating these courses) now all I gotta do is honor the work and transfer it from my computer screen to my body :D

Primate

5 x 2 minute handstands with 30 seconds under load for the "rest" between sets? It's going to be a LONG time befor I've mastered handstand 1! I would have liked to have seen some press work though.

Coach Sommer

This is skill training not conditioning; so additional rest between work sets is acceptable.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

It is acceptable but is it recommended?

Adriano Augusto
ausswe said:

It is acceptable but is it recommended?

I love that's spirit.

Nic Branson

Quality is recommended. If your quality suffers from short rest then you did not rest enough. This is not direct conditioning work. Don't get lazy but also do not rush.

wheezer

Just wanting to understand... Where is the line is with "additional rest"? What is the role of multiple sets if there is no conditioning component?

Eric HARDOUIN

Well, you could consider the "CNS condtionning" aspect of it first. This means you just take the time to restore a deep calm breath (if lost), drink a bit and "reset" for the next set, without rushing like pure conditionning. It can take less then 30s, thought, but these are precious. Personally 1mn is the up-limit for that kind of sets. It may be too much...

The Giant
Hari_Seldon said:

Not really; OAHS isn't a gymnastics skill, so there's good reason to think it won't make any appearance at all.

 

In my opinion, H2 is more likely to head in the direction of ring handstands and presses.

That's too bad.  Equilibristics and one arms are my eventual goal.  Still, getting down H1 is the perfect way to prepare...so I have a long while before I'll need to worry about OAHS.

Joshua Slocum
The Giant said:

That's too bad.  Equilibristics and one arms are my eventual goal.  Still, getting down H1 is the perfect way to prepare...so I have a long while before I'll need to worry about OAHS.

All of the mobility and strength work in H1 is excellent preparation for the OAHS. Once you complete H1 and learn a press, you'll be more than ready to follow Yuri's tutorial. 

Joshua Naterman
Primate said:

5 x 2 minute handstands with 30 seconds under load for the "rest" between sets? It's going to be a LONG time befor I've mastered handstand 1! I would have liked to have seen some press work though.

Doesn't make much sense to worry about presses until you have a good, solid handstand :) The iM work you do will have you sufficiently prepared to make very good progress in that area when the time is ripe, so stick with the program!

pashamur

I've been working on presses a fair bit recently, and I've noticed that it made my handstand a bit easier to control.

 

I think I have pretty good alignment, and was told as much by a gymnastics coach (it can always be better, but double jointed shoulders are like a cheat code to mobility, and my PPT is slowly improving).

 

The interesting thing I've found is that my kick-up to handstand is still very inconsistent - sometimes I get it, other times I come down right away. If I press up, however, I can get a minute long hold quite consistently (or more, depending on how fresh I am). And feeling the balance in the press has strengthened my wrists enough to make it easier to balance in the HS itself. There's a reason Coach has said that HS presses are perhaps the most important exercise in gymnastics. YMMV though.

 

So in some sense learning the press helps with the later progressions - you can simply press into the HS if you don't have a very good kick-up, and balancing the press strengthens your wrists as well (there's a little carryover to planche work).

Alessandro Mainente

i think that perfect hs with full shoulders extension is a prereq. for HS2 you will focus on other elements and, when you are in hs, you will focus your attention on doing something different then have a good alignment. the alignment and balance must be something very natural and it should not be wasteful in term of energy. 

if you are at the beginning don't worry about HS2, i started hs training 3 years ago and only now i have a decent body line. of course i've worked around some of the exercises of HS1 (without knowing that they would be

in -hs1) but not on the other , so the process of learn has no ending.

 

talking about the rest...mmm...when you will reach the last elements of handstand you will notice how the long process of mobility works with strength to give to you the best "stack of bones". when you will be aligned you feel no reason to put to much effort in your forearms to balance cause you are aligned and the balance is moved to the palms of the hands. in that moment strength plays only a little role. only now i'm not surprised when Coach in his wk of the day put 10 minutes of hs, but only now. now i'm not working on improve the hs hols but only on do the IM movements that i've never used but of course i'm doung 5 sets of 1 minutes and half, and i don't rest more than the time i need for the IM. 

for complete all the h1 progression? mmmm maybe i need one more year...maybe more