This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weightlifter starting Foundation Program

Started by reash44, March 1, 2013 · 5 Replies · 413 Views

reash44

First off, a little about myself, I'm a 40 yr old weightlifter, 5'-10" 185lbs ~10% bodyfat.  I've worked hard to get my strength, but have always wanted to be able to perform gymnastic type movements.  My max lifts in the 'Big 3' are Deadlift 445, Squat 415, BP 285, and unfortunately I have the flexibility of a brick wall.

 

I'm going to start on the 4 day/week program next week (I'm deloading from last weight cycle right now), but I don't really no what to expect.  As I said, I worked hard to get my numbers.  I don't expect to maintain that maximal strength, but would hate to lose a lot of it.

 

1.  Should I throw in some basic weight movements to try and maintain strength?  I was thinking maybe some squats or DLs (not a lot of volume), as the leg volume doesn't appear to be that high.

 

2.  Should I be doing some independent flexibility/mobility movements due to my inflexible nature?

 

3.  I don't see any pullups or pushups. Should I be working on them separately?  I can do about 10-12 strict pullups (chest to bar), and I am able to do about 5-6 headstand pushups.  I just wasn't sure if I would lose these numbers on the F1 program.  I'm sure they are brought back in future progressions, but again I would hate to lose the ability I've developed.

 

4.  I'm pretty used to a lot of work (I push/pull sleds, sprint and will do some boxing and jump rope workouts on off days).  Should I look at the 5 day/week program instead?  I feel like I'm 18, but I know that I'm getting older.

 

I apologize if any of this has been asked before, but I looked and didn't really see much on this.

 

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Joshua Slocum
reash44 said:

First off, a little about myself, I'm a 40 yr old weightlifter, 5'-10" 185lbs ~10% bodyfat.  I've worked hard to get my strength, but have always wanted to be able to perform gymnastic type movements.  My max lifts in the 'Big 3' are Deadlift 445, Squat 415, BP 285, and unfortunately I have the flexibility of a brick wall.

 

I'm going to start on the 4 day/week program next week (I'm deloading from last weight cycle right now), but I don't really no what to expect.  As I said, I worked hard to get my numbers.  I don't expect to maintain that maximal strength, but would hate to lose a lot of it.

 

The beginning of the Foundation series is high volume, low intensity. It is likely that you will experience a dip in your max strength in the beginning, especially in the squat because there is so little leg work. However, as you progress through foundation, your max lifts will eventually start increasing.

 

 

reash44 said:

1.  Should I throw in some basic weight movements to try and maintain strength?  I was thinking maybe some squats or DLs (not a lot of volume), as the leg volume doesn't appear to be that high.

 

This is not a bad idea. I believe some other people have done a similar thing. If you want to do "maintenance sets" on the big three throughout the week that's probably not going to be an issue. 

 

reash44 said:

2. Should I be doing some independent flexibility/mobility movements due to my inflexible nature?

 

Again, not a bad idea. If your lack of mobility is particularly bad, it could prevent you from progressing, so putting some additional time into stretching could help you get through the course faster.

 

reash44 said:

3.  I don't see any pullups or pushups. Should I be working on them separately?  I can do about 10-12 strict pullups (chest to bar), and I am able to do about 5-6 headstand pushups.  I just wasn't sure if I would lose these numbers on the F1 program.  I'm sure they are brought back in future progressions, but again I would hate to lose the ability I've developed.

 

Look again. There are plenty of pushups. There are no pullups, but the rows are a very similar movement. You won't lose any of those numbers from doing F1. 

 

reash44 said:

4.  I'm pretty used to a lot of work (I push/pull sleds, sprint and will do some boxing and jump rope workouts on off days).  Should I look at the 5 day/week program instead?  I feel like I'm 18, but I know that I'm getting older.

 

When it comes to choosing your volume, it's always best to start lower and gradually add on. Gymnastic strength training and weightlifting are two different beasts; your weightlifting stamina might not directly translate. I would begin with 4 and complete a full 12-week cycle. If you complete the cycle, and there were no weeks where you felt very sore/fatigued/worn out at the end, try bumping up to 5/week the next cycle. Another option at this pointi, instead of doing 5-days a week, would be to add squats or deadlifts as an 8th exercise. Since foundation 1 is pretty light on the leg strength, you could probably manage the volume. 

 

Also note that in the 4-a-day schedule, your wednesdays don't have to be 'off' days. You can still stretch, work handstands, and do light weight work. 

 

reash44 said:

I apologize if any of this has been asked before, but I looked and didn't really see much on this.

 

Thanks in advance,

Tom

 

Good luck!

Michael Ho

I lift weights as well, though I am only a beginner at this (started around Oct) and I am slightly more experienced in bodyweight/GST type work.

 

Personally, I have kept my weightlifting to 4 days pweek in the afternoons - on the same days I do push/pull/ring skillwork. F1 is on my 'rest days'. (4 days as well, Saturday is F1 + Weight training)

 

Not sure how I am going to implement H1 at the moment, as my rota seems kinda full, may do it on the rest days with F1 however I'm sure the intensity of H1 will be larger than F1 has been.

 

I guess a lot of people would see my routine as overtraining, however so far it has been working for me, my front lever is also coming along nicely :).

 

Bear in mind that I'm 18 though, amongst other differences, so my situation is vastly different.

reash44

Thanks for the responses. Sorry my response is late but I'm actually in Jamaica on vacation where I will be starting F1. I also saw some responses in another new thread like mine with some good ideas.

The web connection is not very good down here so I'll give an update when I get back.

Sam Carr

I do half of F1 and H1 two days a week in the morning right when I wake up and then later at night after school/work I go to the gym and do about 90 minutes of weightlifting for upper body. I do the other half of F1 on two different days of the week in the mornings and then later in the day I do weightlifting for lower body. This is working pretty well. The hardest part is rolling out of bed in the morning and beginning F1.

reash44
Sam Carr said:

I do half of F1 and H1 two days a week in the morning right when I wake up and then later at night after school/work I go to the gym and do about 90 minutes of weightlifting for upper body. I do the other half of F1 on two different days of the week in the mornings and then later in the day I do weightlifting for lower body. This is working pretty well. The hardest part is rolling out of bed in the morning and beginning F1.

I thought of an approach like this as well, like I said before I really miss the weights.  I've only been doing F1 for two days, but my flexibility is so bad I can't progress in anything because I can't master the IM movements.  I can actually do almost all of the required RC and HBP PEs, but my limited range prevents me from advancing past HBP PE1 and RC PE2.  My family really gets a kick out of watching me trying to do german arm swings and the stiff legged windmills.