.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
.
Started by Arto, March 1, 2013 · 20 Replies · 357 Views
I have some sort of constant muscle ache in the same spot not sharp pain but it feels like a mix of doms and way way to tight muscle only started after f1. And I have taken a weeks break with no change. It isn't doms. Is there a good stretch for the middle back?
I don't feel your pain
, so take the following with a pinch of salt; but from what you say, if it feels like it needs a bit of stretch or tissue work, you can get in there with a baseball or golf ball.
Get on your back (supine position
), find the tight spot, and work on it (with moderation).
Sometimes supine wall slides (wall slides on the floor) help too. ![]()
You can try foam rolling your upper back spine on the off-chance you slightly pinched a nerve. That may take a day or two to subside.
If you tore a muscle, you'll feel the difference when the ball gets in that place - if it is the case, stop and see your doc.
.
Arto Ratilainen said:I have no balls.
![]()
Did you really write that? ![]()
.
Yes, I understand that... I was making a joke... ![]()
Go out there in the park and find a stone, the size of a fist; I don't think a hard boiled egg will work very well... ![]()
.
Use an ice ball, or suffer in silence... ![]()
.
i dont know if the excercise will work but there are a lot of substitutes for the ball. A tennis, golf or baseball will do. Otherwise fill an old sock with rice or sand, altough that could be to soft.
And if you want to keep it with food, i think a potato or an union will work a lot better then eggs.
.
.
Arto Ratilainen said:How did that emoticon appear in the reply when I chose the one left from facepalm. If I press "Edit", it shows the emoticon I chose in the first place instead of the one currently showing.
The boards still seem to have some old emoticons activated so the codes for those still bring them out and override the new ones I guess.
A good foam-roller is a worthy investment. And you shouldn't have to spend much to get an 18" one. It will pay for itself within a week if you use it well.
I'm going into month 6 of rehab for an injury in that exact spot. It felt like a sharp pain / really bad knot there initially. Now it just feels like a small knot, no pain, that cracks like a joint whenever I shrug my shoulder. It still gets re-irritated easily when I practice aerials though, hence the ongoing rehab. =/
Anyway, what happened is I screwed up my rhomboid working on straddle inverts in an aerial class. My form got sloppy as I got tired. I ended up hanging all my weight off my rhomboids instead of keeping my shoulder blades properly retracted and my upper back strong. So, check your form. You might be doing funky things with your shoulder blades / upper back in order to complete your sets.
.
If it's still a fairly new injury, then the standard rest + ice approach will probably do the trick. If you've been foolish (like me) and trained through the injury, then it will probably be more complicated.
My injury has lingered for months, so most of my current rehab is actually designed to correct muscle imbalances specific to me that have been preventing it from healing fully. I'm not sure how much of that will be helpful to you. Our focus has been on improving scapular retraction and depression, bringing the scapular tilt back to a more neutral position, strengthening the external rotators / rhomboids / mid-low traps, improving serratus anterior recruitment, and stretching out overly tight pecs.
Yes, it is likely your recent tests... ![]()
.
Wishing you well Arto ![]()