Which stretches do you recommend to increase the flexibility needed in the straddlepositions used in the f-series?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
which stretches for f-series
Started by Tomas Johansson, February 26, 2013 · 12 Replies · 756 Views
Seeing as each person has different weak points I would advise following the iM. If you could expand upon what you need help with in particular I'll try to think of something.
yeah, the plus of the Foundation series is that all the integrated mobility goes hand in hand with the strength and prehab movements prescribed within the WOD themselves, so everytime you do an exercises it is followed by a mobility exercise that targets the "tightness" that the exercise manifests in the body. Coach advices us to focus on the prescribed iM so far and then focus on using flexibility drills to address certain problem areas. so all in all, you're golden to follow F1 iM, unless you need a specific goal to be met.
Definitely follow the iM exercises.
The only specific stretching I'd worry about right now is hip flexors, standing pike (which is specifically covered in F1 iM), and perhaps middle splits.
It is very important that you balance your pike stretches with hip flexor stretches. If you do not, you will develop anterior pelvic tilt and (eventually) the lower back issues that come with it.
Foundation does have specific developmental work that is leading you incrementally to gymnastic bridging, but I am pretty convinced that you need to be doing some specific hip flexor stretches as well. You can do these after the workout, or after your pike stretches, whatever you prefer. Make sure to do the same sets and reps/seconds as the pike stretches.
Joshua Naterman said:Definitely follow the iM exercises.
The only specific stretching I'd worry about right now is hip flexors, standing pike (which is specifically covered in F1 iM), and perhaps middle splits.
It is very important that you balance your pike stretches with hip flexor stretches. If you do not, you will develop anterior pelvic tilt and (eventually) the lower back issues that come with it.
Foundation does have specific developmental work that is leading you incrementally to gymnastic bridging, but I am pretty convinced that you need to be doing some specific hip flexor stretches as well. You can do these after the workout, or after your pike stretches, whatever you prefer. Make sure to do the same sets and reps/seconds as the pike stretches.
middle splits sounds nice. straddle or pancake style?
Whatever you feel is going to help you the most, but I'm slowly working on both. I don't expect to ever achieve a pancake middle split
I know I can get within 6-8" of the standing middle split, assuming I can get as flexible as I was when I was 18... It remains to be seen whether I ever achieve that, but it doesn't really matter to me. All I want is a nice straddle pike so that I can press to HS ![]()
Joshua Naterman said:Whatever you feel is going to help you the most, but I'm slowly working on both. I don't expect to ever achieve a pancake middle split
I know I can get within 6-8" of the standing middle split, assuming I can get as flexible as I was when I was 18... It remains to be seen whether I ever achieve that, but it doesn't really matter to me. All I want is a nice straddle pike so that I can press to HS
ditto on the straddle pike for the press HS, I meant that since Straddle and Pike Flexibility will be addressed in Foundation, I was curious as to what to set my sights on since those will be worked on later
even though splits really isn't a "I need this to properly function" kind of goal, it'd be nice to know I have enough strength to hold that position, just passively fall into it
What would be an effective hip flexor Stretch?
- Do not be overly concerned about this. Focus on mastering the iM that are currently assigned to you.
- If after that you have additional energy, Kit's work would be an outstanding supplement. But remember as a supplement only; your primary focus should be on the assigned iM.
- All of the specialized mobility that you will need to perform the seven GST fundamentals is already integrated throughout the Foundation Courses. Remember that you have only seen F1 so far. ![]()
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
but will we be able to do mobility exercises without stretching?
IM is there to builds both active and passive mobility. So the answer is yes.
You start the IM with your current range of motion and control and slowly increase it over time.
spyro7800 said:but will we be able to do mobility exercises without stretching?
The repetitive motions will build the flexibility, so you don't need to freak out if you don't stretch specifically for everything.