Switching from tramp to springboard to floor in a circuit, wise?

Started by Adam Dovick, February 26, 2013 · 1 Replies · 1,788 Views

Adam Dovick

Warning: Highly technical question

 

We've all experienced going from the trampoline to the floor and feeling like we weigh a ton and going regular matting to the sprung floor and felt we could fly. It is called a kinesthetic afteraffect and it is temporary and partly illusury (ex:you aren't actually jumping higher than normal on the sprung floor)

 

I am a recreational tumbler and I've been coaching (mostly rec) for 5 years and this effect is very noticable to me, I do like to play around a lot in the gym, but when I train I find I have to be very aware what surface I was just on when I move around the gym or else I really mess up my skills sometimes.

 

 

So that leads me to wonder (watching some of the other coaches.

Is a circuit of:

Sukahara's off the end of the tumble trak (medium spring)

Timing drills of the comp trampoline (extreme spring)

Front handspring based vaults w/ springboard (tight/low spring)

going to cause the gymnasts to have errors based on how their propriceptors respond to the different surfaces (at worst) or maybe only cause the gymnast to not perform their best for the same reason.

 

Or is the effect too small for most gymnastics to be affected by, I'm just weird?

Blairbob

Yes.

 

Its not a big concern at the lower levels but the timing issue can be trying if you switch from surface.

 

Thing is, during some of thosr drills we are trying to get the gymnast to work on the feeling of a skill at time. Also less wear and tear. 

 

Ideally I wouldnt rotate between surfaces, especially identical tumvling passes.

 

So double backs or double full into resi or pit, then front lay, front full on ttrak ok.

 

But not fhs, front lay, front full on fx then ttrak.

 

I prefer to switch surfaces when on vault but sometimes it depends on space, equipment.