This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Correct Form For Hanging Leg Raises

Started by Robmob, February 25, 2013 · 4 Replies · 230 Views

Robmob

I remember being in the September seminar thinking I could do Hanging leg raises due to doing them at home,however once i started using the stall bars i realized i was wrong and could only do a quarter of the ROM. Some months have passed and I wanted to know if it was possible to do the exercise without cheating on a pullup bar. Is there anything I can do keep form strict? My doorways are to small for LegRaises. 

Thanks

spinelli

I believe they're much harder on stall bars due to your hips not being able to go behind your shoulders so I think If you put a plank across the door for your back to rest on that might work, but you'd have to make sure that your wrists, shoulders and hips are all in line so your bar would have to protrude out slightly. A telescopic "jam in" type bar might work better as a support as it can go between the door frame instead of in front of it.

I tried doing them on a ladder before but it was a little narrow and I had no way of making sure it was vertical other than to have my brother hold the ladder so not great really... Good luck working out a solution!

Chris Down

You've got several options mate. If you can find a partner to spot you then you can simply just get them to provide some resistance by pushing your shoulders, just enough to prevent you from leaning back during the exercise. I've used a power rack at the gym in the past and set the safety catch support the same level with the back of my shoulders. If none of these option are available then you could always just rig something up to the door frame. Something you can remove like a bit of wood suspended by two brackets fixed to either side of the door frame would be your best option.

markp

The reason why HLL is easier on your pull up bar is probably because you're rotating your entire body upwards while lifting your legs. If this is the case then you're actually performing a partial front pull instead of a HLL which makes the exercise a lot easier for the core. On stall bars you cannot do this, because the bars don't allow you to lean your body backwards.

To avoid this with your pullup bar, you should try to completely relax your shoulders when you do the exercise. Simply start by hanging in a dead hang and start lifting your legs without using your shoulders or lats. By doing this, the only way to lift your legs upwards is by using your abs and your hip flexors. Make sure to concentrate on completely relaxing your shoulders, because it's easy to start invoking them when you can't lift your legs up high enough.
 

Robmob

Ok thanks ill try them all out once my injury is out of the way. I guess i need to install a ladder for the SL