This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL4- twisting torso

Started by James Hall, February 25, 2013 · 6 Replies · 306 Views

James Hall

In moving from double to single arm planks the biggest difficulty was restricting hip twisting so that my torso remains parallel to the floor. Has anyone go any tips for combating this? Could I start with wider feet and move inwards as I work though from week 1, focusing on anti-rotation? Alternatively is starting from a double arm plank valid then slowly removing an arm so that my weight doesn't shift to the remaining arm.

gohei_

If I were you I would probably do what you said and widen your feet and go more narrow every week. But that's just me, and I'm no expert.

johnfewell

This initially was bothering me too. It's much easier to keep your hip points pointed toward the floor if you have your feet apart I've found. 

 

How wide are your feet now? In the video the athlete has his feet about a foot apart, so that's what I'm trying to do too.

Christian

Notice how in the video he holds his supporting arm with his free one? Did you try this?

Nic Branson

Make sure your arm support is done properly as seen in the video. If rotation is a problem try first keeping your glutes and legs tight. If you still have rotation problems widen slightly and repeat. Work on gaining control and brining your form back to where it should be.

You must control your hips, you cannot just use your shoulders/scaps to hold your entire body. Tension is a key point.

James Hall

Thanks all, initially I had my feet narrower than in the video but moved them to hip width. Ill work on bringing them in. I used my non supporting arm as in the video but still had a problem with tension as Nic says; particularly in the lumbar region. It's interesting how the torso/hips twist so as to put a greater percentage of the load above the supporting arm independently of the shoulders. I think the key will be to generate sufficient hip/lumbar tension to prevent pelvic rotation rather than twisting the shoulders in the opposite direction. This happened when I use the non supporting arm as a crutch. I think this exercise will prove to be priceless.

James Hall

A brief update on my progress: my hip and torso position is pretty much parallel to the ground and I'm not sagging. I can now feel if I'm rotating and it becomes quite obvious towards the end of a set when I can't keep my feet parallel to the floor (poor tension leading to pelvic asymmetry). Before I got the form I had never experienced shaking in this exercise. I'm taking it as progress. If a plank is ever easy you are doing it wrong definitely applies to me. Thanks for the help :)