How good are mixed grip chinups?

Started by Saito, January 4, 2009 · 17 Replies · 15,065 Views

Saito

Hi there, does anyone know how good are these? I haven't done them much before, just pulls & regular chins.

I've noticed there are some variations to these, like, some do them shoulder-width apart, and when I tried them, I did them with both my hands together, but not overlapped of course; so which variation would be best or easiest/harder? Thanks

Saito

Oh and I also forgot: how much different are they from regular chinups and pullups, like, what different (if any) muscles do they work and what other parts. Thanks in advance.

Saito

But the kind of chinup I'm referring to are like the ones this guy does sometime into the video:

They are like that, with your body facing parallel to the bars or bar, raising your head over the bar on each side of your face, or on each shoulder, if that makes any sense.

Blairbob

A mixed grip is somewhat similar to the way you pullup when doing rope climbs if you are using your feet. I used to have the boys or myself hang on the bar, reach to a mixed grip, pullup, have the other hand reach, and do a pullup on the other side.

It's just another way to do pullups. You get a mix of the underhand grip, which is generally easier to do than an overhand grip. That's it. I engage the pec and bicep a bit more.

Saito

Yeah, the only thing I don't like is that if I don't hold myself tightly, I begin to swing as I go up, or lose balance, because you're sideways when you do this.

What do you think about neutral grip chinups, done shoulder-width apart, compared with regular chinups? What do these work more? Somehow I feel chinups don't really work my biceps at all.

Blairbob

Neutral grip pullups will not work your biceps more than undergrip pullups or "chin-ups."

What muscles certain grips of pullups will work really shouldn't be a big concern. You'll feel if you start working levers or wide arm as does does much straight arm work of supporting, planching, even HS.

Currently Wide Arm L pullups make my biceps scream.

Saito
Blairbob said:
Neutral grip pullups will not work your biceps more than undergrip pullups or "chin-ups."

What muscles certain grips of pullups will work really shouldn't be a big concern. You'll feel if you start working levers or wide arm as does does much straight arm work of supporting, planching, even HS.

Currently Wide Arm L pullups make my biceps scream.

I can't do any levers yet, I suck at that :evil:

So you saying wide grip chinups work your biceps more than close-gripped?

Blairbob

I was working wide grip pullups and it was the wide grip L pullups that made my biceps scream while I was down in LA during the holidays. I didn't have access to much but the Iron Gym my brothers got.

Normal L pullups and I don't really feel it in my biceps. If I do wide arms, I do; and with the wide grip L pullups there is quite a bit of load I'm sure.

On the rings you can do pullups where instead of a neutral grip you pull with the ring circle facing forward and backward so that it is above your bicep. Your elbows will point and splay out sideways. It might be called the Bulgarian pullup in the book. I think it was called that.

Saito

I still can't do those L pulls or chins! Haven't even tried them actually.

I don't have rings either

So just this: does a wider than shoulder width chinup work your biceps more on not?

Blairbob

yes.

Saito

Interesting. So why do so-called experts say close grip works them more?

Chris H Laing
Saito said:
so-called experts

I think you just answered your own question.

Close grip chinups work the bicep in kinda the same way that a barbell curl does, which is probably why the so-called experts say they work the bicep more, but putting yourself in such a disadvantaged leverage position, such as a wide grip l chinup, is going to be way more work on all the muscles involved than a close grip chinup would be.

Saito
Chris H Laing said:
Saito said:
so-called experts

I think you just answered your own question.

Close grip chinups work the bicep in kinda the same way that a barbell curl does, which is probably why the so-called experts say they work the bicep more, but putting yourself in such a disadvantaged leverage position, such as a wide grip l chinup, is going to be way more work on all the muscles involved than a close grip chinup would be.

lol, alright. But I still haven't tried and probably can't do the L-type exercises, like chins or pulls. I'll just do regular wide grip chins. They feel better.

Blairbob

I am simply following the pullup progression as listed in the GB program.

Saito

I actually tried and found out I can do L sit chins and pulls, like 8 chins and 6 pulls. These are just that you straighten your legs right?

IvanPS

Yes legs are extended and horizontal.

bodyguard

When I do pull ups with the Rings than I work my arms harder, and special my biceps, than with chin ups.

Has anybody the same experiences?

bodyguard
bodyguard said:
When I do pull ups with the Rings than I work my arms harder, and special my biceps, than with chin ups.

Has anybody the same experiences?

up :wink: