This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

programming in ring strength series

Started by killroy70, February 23, 2013 · 14 Replies · 565 Views

killroy70

I'm working F1 in the standard four day split and was wondering what members thoughts were as where best to fit in extra strength work so as not to regress in certain areas. I was thinking about simply doing one ring strength series per week, altering the specific series each week. When thinking about the strength elements that I'm looking to maintain they all seem like they could be addressed within a ring series (muscle ups, press shoulderstands, front pulls, back pulls, back lever, front lever pulls, etc etc...). Nothing crazy, maybe just the standard three sets once per week.

Is this not advisable? And if this is fine and won't really interfere with my F1 work (which is my ultimate priority), where would this day fit in best? I was thinking about throwing it in Saturday, that way there's a full day of rest for the upper body on both sides (Friday and Sunday). Thoughts?

Klaudius Petrulis

I would also say if you're going to do it, go fairly easy and do it on a Saturday. Gives your body time to recover.  Though with the more demanding weeks you may need to scale down this training.

stefanhinote

Could you split up your original routine into four groups, and do them each work out day after F1 work?

 

That's essentially what I've been doing with a little condensing on original routine, and it's been working well.

killroy70

I was thinking about trying to incorporate them into my standard four days, but was a little worried about running into over-training issues as I move forward into more advanced progressions in the F series. I have a decently physically demanding job and a new 8 week old baby, so you can imagine I'm not in a prime position of recovery :). Hmmm.... another reason I didn't incorporate them into the F workouts is that I wasnt sure, programming-wise if it was a good idea to have higher intensity (albeit lower volume) exercises 4 days/week mixed in with some of the lower intensity/higher volume exercises prescribed in F1 (especially the 60 sec and 15 rep mastery elements). Perhaps I'll start with some Saturday work and see how it goes. Of course all suggestions are welcome if others have a different viewpoint.

stefanhinote
killroy70 said:

I was thinking about trying to incorporate them into my standard four days, but was a little worried about running into over-training issues as I move forward into more advanced progressions in the F series. I have a decently physically demanding job and a new 8 week old baby, so you can imagine I'm not in a prime position of recovery :). Hmmm.... another reason I didn't incorporate them into the F workouts is that I wasnt sure, programming-wise if it was a good idea to have higher intensity (albeit lower volume) exercises 4 days/week mixed in with some of the lower intensity/higher volume exercises prescribed in F1 (especially the 60 sec and 15 rep mastery elements). Perhaps I'll start with some Saturday work and see how it goes. Of course all suggestions are welcome if others have a different viewpoint.

Yeah that adds a little kink to my method! Congratulations on the baby, hope you manage some rest here and there. :D 

ausswe

I was also wondering something similar to this. Should I be training heavier exercises a long with the F series or should I just wait until the later foundations come up and progress through them

Daniel Burnham

Wait

ausswe

Should I not bother training muscle ups now and just wait until the foundation builds my strength for it? I really just struggle with the transition. Have been working on it for a while but I just find that my internal rotation strength is horrible.

Daniel Burnham

If you really want to go for it. Foundation is meant to build the strength you need for more gymnastic skills. Coach has decided to avoid the use of ring strength for a reason. Too many people were jumping on them and not progressing or hurting themselves. Muscle ups are not really advanced but would be considered a fairly low progression in ring strength.

ausswe

I guess I'll just wait on the muscle ups. I wasn't getting anywhere with them anyway despite being able to do numerous dips and pull ups on the rings

Coach Sommer

- Focus on Foundation.

- Dedicated MU training should not occur until AFTER basic RC has been mastered.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

ahhh thanks for the reply coach =) but when you say basic rc do you mean F1 or all the foundation series?  thanks to rockclimbing I can actually do 5 meter rope climbs pretty easily even sitting in a straddle position.

Coach Sommer

If your RC is already that strong without legs, then your struggling with MU is merely a matter of technical refinement.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

killroy70

Thanks for the replies and the congrats (on the baby!). I'm currently capable of performing about 3 sets of 5 muscle ups with minimal kip, full hang with rings turned out while in the hang position and up top. I honestly don't know about my rope climbing ability as I don't have a rope. Will continue working it in a bit for now, perhaps decreasing frequency further as foundation series exercises continue to increase in level of difficulty.

IcedDante
Coach Sommer said:

- Focus on Foundation.

- Dedicated MU training should not occur until AFTER basic RC has been mastered.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach,

 

by "basic RC" do you mean demonstrating mastery of RC PE1 through 6?