Front lever tip!

Started by Edgaron, February 23, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,998 Views

Edgaron

I've started doing front lever progressions with my hands trying to form more of a false grip (on a bar) and my FL progress is skyrocketing! I think it helps to activate and develop the right muscles.

 

Any other form cues anyone can share? On whatever skill.

 

EDIT: Holy crap I'm so excited, I think I'm going to have no problem holding straddle in a month or so. And I was having trouble getting into adv tuck less than a week ago!

 

Little stuff like this really make a difference.

tonio145

I find it easier if the bar is thicker then usual.

Joshua Naterman

Anything that you do to remove wrist/hand instability/weakness as a limiting factor is going to allow you to more fully explore the limitations of your prime movers, but I wouldn't mistake that for a great thing.

 

I think it's good to practice your false grip, but I think you need to spend most of your time on foundation work and, if you're going to do the statics directly, to utilize a full hand grip for most of your sets.

 

You may find that carryover is not perfect from the false grip to the full grip.

Edgaron
tonio145 said:

I find it easier if the bar is thicker then usual.

Probably for the same reason since you can't grip it fully.

 

I think I have more of a scapular strength issue than a wrist one in front lever. I find my scapula is stronger/in better position when I do it this way. The ''false grip'' I use isn't much of a false grip, The hand is in the same position but I try to lift the wrist joint higher, I feel that it allows my arms to extend more, that way making it easier.

 

That's how I userstand the advantage untitled.png

 

Excellent painting skills, I know.

 

Am I wrong?

ausswe

I understand what you mean i have felt the same thing when i worked front levers i didnt move to false grip when doing front lever but instead I held the normal grip but then actively tried to rotate my hands forward and down which in turn "slightly" lifted my wrists and for some reason made it feel like i could recruit some new muscles to help out that were slacking off before.  I feel i can lock the elbows better this way.

Joshua Naterman

Those muscles should be working. If they aren't, you're going to have problems.

 

The same kind of thing helps me with my shoulder quite a bit (intentionally using the flexors that control my pinky and ring finger, which seems to stabilize my elbow and allow me to use my brachialis and brachioradialis, which somehow improves my entire shoulder function), and has essentially fixed my handstand alignment.

 

You shouldn't need your hand so far on top to do this, but if that's how you start then that's fine!

FredInChina
Joshua Naterman said:

(...) intentionally using the flexors that control my pinky and ring finger, which seems to stabilize my elbow and allow me to use my brachialis and brachioradialis, which somehow improves my entire shoulder function (...)

 

Hummm, interesting cross over observation here...

When doing straight punches (bare knuckles, gloves change the dynamics a bit), squeezing the pinkie and ring finger (using the flexors), & keeping the middle and index fingers a bit loose increase elbow & shoulder stability.

If you are punching correctly, using your back muscles, this will also increase the power of your punches. :)