This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1-F2 Interim- advice please.

Started by Jon Douglas, February 22, 2013 · 6 Replies · 335 Views

Jon Douglas

Morning all,

 

 

I find myself in an awkward position. Having done WoDs for a while, I've found that some of F1 work presents little challenge. Some does-- on FL and RC, for eg, I'm more than happy working away with what I'm given to get it perfect.

 

However, given the pattern of releasing products on the last day of the month, I find myself with a probable 4-week gap on the others, not knowing where I should put my efforts. That's enough time to run a small cycle, after de-loading next week (by happy coincidence during exam period).

 

 

Based on the assumption that it's priority to increase strength rather than reps at this stage, I don't want to simply trade my 5x5 up to 5x15. My approach is to maintain the max reps on the PE6 (Se5) exercises and;

 

- For HBP, to work up through the progressions again on rings. I'm on PE2 today; PE3 will be a push but I'm fairly confident.

- For Mn, to add Lsit on the 5x30 sec scheme

- For SLS, to add HeS RLL on the 5x15 rep scheme

- For sPL, to add XR Support on the 5x60 sec scheme

- For SLS, to add (full) SLS on the 5x15 rep scheme

 

There are a couple of other approaches that occur off the bat;

- Working Hespu for my top HBP instead (but 5x5 is easy...)

- Working the sPL progressions on the XR (I've not had any problems with regular XR pl leans or HS)

- Weighting down to say 5x2reps for HBP and working back up.

 

 

My thought process is essentially to include these exercises (which are easy for me) at Wk1 programming, meaning neglible effort for several weeks, ideally putting in practise for future Foundation releases without cutting into my recovery or other progress. There's nothing there I can't do for 10 reps or 60 seconds, but 5x15 or 5x60 could involve some working up (at least without shaking :P). I *think* this is sufficiently cautious while still working towards progress...

 

 

 

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice. If I'm deluding myself, please say so :)

Joshua Slocum

It seems a reasonable plan for me.

 

 

For HBP, if HeSPU is too easy you could do HSPU. 

For Mn, you might want to do full leg-lifts. It seems the next logical step after negative leg-lifts. 

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

It seems a reasonable plan for me.

 

 

For HBP, if HeSPU is too easy you could do HSPU. 

For Mn, you might want to do full leg-lifts. It seems the next logical step after negative leg-lifts. 

Thanks-- and yeah, I thought about that too. I'm not 100% on what would be preferable for HBP, so that one was an arbitrary choice, since the HBP progressions can be transferred directly to rings. I don't have 5x5 HSPU yet (more like 3x3 with some swearing) so I feel like I would be trying to predict too far down the track if I went that way with it.

 

I can't see 5x5 HLL (I can hit at least 15-20 in a set) being nearly as difficult as 5x30 Lsit, so I believe going that way will pay off better in the mid-term.

Cannister

Coach posted on the crossfit.com forums back in 2005 saying this about progressing to the Hollowback Press:

 

"Here is a fun progression that I use to introduce the hollowback press: 
 
1) Pushups 
2) Handstand pushups (head to floor) 
3) Chest roll to headstand and then push up to handstand 
4) Chest roll to handstand; be sure to initially use a big roll with alot of speed 
5) Chest roll to handstand with slow negative back to the floor 
6) Gradually reduce the amount and speed of the chest roll to handstand and continue with the slow negative 
7) Hollow back press handstand on floor"
 
 
Maybe infer from this until F2?
 
Good luck!
Jon Douglas
Cannister said:

Coach posted on the crossfit.com forums back in 2005 saying this about progressing to the Hollowback Press:

 

Here is a fun progression that I use to introduce the hollowback press: 
 
1) Pushups 
2) Handstand pushups (head to floor) 
3) Chest roll to headstand and then push up to handstand 
4) Chest roll to handstand; be sure to initially use a big roll with alot of speed 
5) Chest roll to handstand with slow negative back to the floor 
6) Gradually reduce the amount and speed of the chest roll to handstand and continue with the slow negative 
7) Hollow back press handstand on floor 
 
 
Maybe infer from this until F2?
 
Good luck!

Good find, I haven't seen that before XD

I *do* like chest rolls to HS... fun movement. Perhaps that's a better way to go  for HBP. I can get up to HS without a *big* roll and with a 5 sec negative, but on the descent I can't press back up with toes off the floor.

 

Thanks a bunch for that, working on a strong 5x5 of those steps does strike me as productive. Seems like it will lend itself to keeping the reps low; I may even add these in alongside XR HBP progress (testing for 5x10 XR PPP after deloading-- a benchmark for me)

Cory Fair

It's very unlikely that it will take until March 31st to release the rest of the Foundation Series. Bear in mind that progressing strength without the mobility compounds imbalances.

Jon Douglas
Cory Fair said:

It's very unlikely that it will take until March 31st to release the rest of the Foundation Series. Bear in mind that progressing strength without the mobility compounds imbalances.

The moment F2 is released, I'll drop my unprofessional approach and go with that. I'm not naive enough to think I can put this together myself, just wanting to use my time productively.