This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090103

Started by Coach Sommer, January 3, 2009 · 6 Replies · 3,774 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090103.jpg

Perform:

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

rest 3-5 minutes

2x6 Wall Pike Press HS

Finish with 10

.

notes:

Rest as necessary during the 10 minutes block of HS Wall Runs.

Keep track of the amount of time actually spent doing HS Wall Runs during the 10 minute block.

Alternate one straight arm repetition and one 90 degree bent arm repetition during the Wall Pike Press HS sets.

Share your workout structure in the comments below.

JaredLLL

The HS wall runs were a great exercise, Ive always had an imbalance between one shoulder and the other, this is a great way to attack that issue.

I couldn't get too close to the wall, about 2' away otherwise I couldn't sustain myself overhead for very long. I did the best I could, was able to stay inverted maybe about 2 minutes through that 10 minute period.

After that I couldn't really touch the pike presses, I was pretty tired, can't wait to try this again.

Nobodystopsdblob

I am a day behind and combining this WOD with the WODs posted at Performancemenu.com. I plan to cut work from the PM WOD if they directly interfere with the WOD posted here.

WOD

Perform:

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

rest 3-5 minutes These were tough to balance. I am sure I will get better at time, but I was pretty much doing left right left right down the whole time.

2x6 Wall Pike Press HS

These were a mixture of headstands to pikes and handstand pike negatives, my lower back was just not coopperating.

Finish with 10 wrist pushups. 2 sets of 5 from the knees.

* Back squat - 90% x 2 x 2 235 285 285

* Snatch pull - 107% (of snatch) x 1 x 2 135... this was not even close to tough, I think I will surprise myself when I finally try a max at the snatch.

* Press - 80% x 4 x 4 135 135 135 135

* Weighted GHD sit-ups - 3 x 10 skipped

* Russian twists - 3 x 20 skipped

sghetti

I did the whole wrist warm up routine mentioned in the other post as a warm up. I found myself only doing sets of 1 minute before my shoulders would tire out.

I tried doing the wall pike presses against a wall. I couldn't do them to save my life. I rested 20 minutes. Still couldn't do it. I feel no control when it's just my shoulders pressing against the wall. I can get a little leverage if my head forcefully pushes against it, but I can't press when my feet are touching the ground.

I did 4x6 RLL headstand with 6 lb ankle weights instead.

Coach, is there some type of spotting technique I could use to start doing the presses? I really feel like there's no muscles I can use to lift my hips when I'm in that position against the wall.

chauinc
sghetti said:
I did the whole wrist warm up routine mentioned in the other post as a warm up. I found myself only doing sets of 1 minute before my shoulders would tire out.

I tried doing the wall pike presses against a wall. I couldn't do them to save my life. I rested 20 minutes. Still couldn't do it. I feel no control when it's just my shoulders pressing against the wall. I can get a little leverage if my head forcefully pushes against it, but I can't press when my feet are touching the ground.

I did 4x6 RLL headstand with 6 lb ankle weights instead.

Coach, is there some type of spotting technique I could use to start doing the presses? I really feel like there's no muscles I can use to lift my hips when I'm in that position against the wall.

You should try a press in a straddle instead of a pike. When in a straddle it will be easier. Also the further away your hands are from the wall the easier it will be. Thats how i train for my presses.

Alex Dienaar

Practicing against a wall with wooden floor and everything and my fear with handstands (which also probably has led to a big lack of handstand strength) made me unable to do wall runs : < Instead I did 5 minutes total of wall handstands with shifting weight on each hand and extending the shoulder on which I lean as much as possible. Was this a good alternative ? (Since my inability to lift my other hand up to my shoulder)

Coach Sommer

Yes, this was a very good alternative. Well done.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer