Balancing Rings and Free-Weights
Started by jwalker497, February 21, 2013 · 5 Replies · 10,676 Views
If your goals are entirely bodyweight-related, the best balance is to ditch free-weights entirely. From a bodyweight training perspective, freeweights have no place in your every-day upper-body strength training routine. All of the best body-weight athletes, from gymnasts to circus performers, use bodyweight exercises as their maintstay for strength training.
If you enjoy free-weight training and want to continue doing free weights for that reason, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. My suggestion would be to train legs with freeweights and for your upper body switch entirely to body-weight training.
That's not entirely accurate, particularly in regards to ring strength, but I don't think this subject is really appropriate given the nature of the OP's strength and workout. He's not at the point where thinking about adding in weight training as a ring strength supplement is a good idea.
OP: When you have a solid 5-10s straddle planche AND a good 10+s ring handstand off the straps, you might be ready to entertain some answers, but that's a long way off.
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm trying to look out for you. Right now, you still need to be working on your basics. How is your Foundation work?
I agree with Hari Seldon. I dropped free weights for the upper body long ago and have made tons of progress. Focus on one thing at a time and use weights to balance certain movements like external rotation.
Joshua Naterman said:That's not entirely accurate, particularly in regards to ring strength, but I don't think this subject is really appropriate given the nature of the OP's strength and workout. He's not at the point where thinking about adding in weight training as a ring strength supplement is a good idea.
OP: When you have a solid 5-10s straddle planche AND a good 10+s ring handstand off the straps, you might be ready to entertain some answers, but that's a long way off.
I am at this point right now. I have not come across the notion that high-level ring strength should be supplemented with free weight work before. Is there any reading on that subject you could point me to please?
It is very tricky to integrate weights and gymnastics. Both respond well to high frequency, but if you try and do high frequency on both you will quickly get injured. It's true that if you want to master gymnastics skills you should dedicate the majority of your time to those.
That said, if you are interested in integrating the two, I think that Jim Bathurst does it about as well as anyone. He is proficient in gymnastics FSPs like planche, front lever, back lever, even a solid one arm handstand, but is also an impressive powerlifter and olympic lifter. I have found the following to be very useful with regard to integration of GST and lifting:
http://www.beastskills.com/my-current-training-routine/
Realize that although Jim's training integrates the two well, he is advanced in both GST and lifting. This type of program would not be well suited to a beginner so if you haven't mastered the basics, that's where your energy should be.