Hi guys!
This is the first time I've made water kefir, so I've done plenty of reading up on the subject. I have all the ingredients, I know the process well, and I'm about to get started on my first batch!
I have one question about the quality of the sugar, though, because I want to make sure my kefir grains are as healthy for themselves and myself as possible. My first questions were if organic/non-organic would make a non-negligible decrease/increase in the quality of kefir, and secondly, if using either white or brown sugar was superior to the other.
Cultures for Health says:
What types of sugar can I use to make water kefir?
Water kefir grains are fairly versatile. While we do recommend using organic sugar if at all possible (reduces the amount of chemicals the kefir grains are exposed to), most sugars will work for making water kefir. White sugar (aka Organic Evaporated Cane Crystals) makes a very mild kefir while sugars containing molasses (Rapadura, Sucanat, Turbinado, etc.) make a stronger tasting kefir. If you are planning to flavor your kefir with fruit or juice, white sugar normally makes a more neutral backdrop for adding flavorings.
I couldn't find an answer more specific than this, so I'm left to conclude that it really doesn't matter too much... Do they mean "mild" in taste only, or could that imply a lower intensity of health of the kefir entirely?
Thanks in advance!