This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

43 Y.o. workout needs evaluation

Started by kevp951, January 3, 2009 · 4 Replies · 645 Views

kevp951

Hi, looks like this is what i came up with at least for the next couple of months then I will re-evaluate or might do that now depending on what i hear from everybody here. Main goals>> Standing & roundoff backtuck on ground, back handspring and front flip on ground, mushroom circles and gymnastic flair. ohh, and a webster and a flash kick. that's all.

Here's my routine:

Performed WED,FRI and SUN: L-Sit(9 sets of 7 sec), Tuck Planche(10 sets of 6 sec), XR Dips (3 X 5), Back Lever tucked(10 sets of 6 second holds), XR Neg Muscle up (4 performed very slow), Press 2 Handstand (10 minimum), Straddle L attempt with each hand(hold a couple seconds), L-Sit Raises (2 lifted high as possible, hold 1 second)

Performed MONDAY & THURSDAY - LEG STRENGTH & JUMPING ABILITY

Additional done as frequently as possible and any time i feel like it: WALL WALKS, WALL SIT, BUCKET CIRCLE WOD from Coach Sommer and front levers on XR AND Pullup bar (both ways)

Sound O.K. ?????? thanks, kev

Blairbob

Straddle L attempt with each hand? Are you working on an one hand straddle L as used in the circus? Can you already do a straddle L on one parallette ( with one hand in front and behind ) and a solid straddle L?

Some leg lifts and pullups should be in there probably somewhere with HS work free or on the wall or HSPU.

kevp951

NUMBER ONE: I meant straddle L on floor with my right hand between my legs and left behind me, and then another attempt with my left hand between my legs and R/hand behind me, so as to build equal strength on both sides. They are both a little hard but i used to not be able to get off the ground when I first got coaches book :) Not I get up no matter which hand is in front between my legs but 1 way is easier than the other so I do both to balance out my development. Feels very hard on my obliques, but I mainly attribute the unrelenting work on bucket circles to giving me the power to get these quickly. NUMBER TWO: LEG LIFTS ???? the L-Sit is not enough???? what do you recommend?? THREE: yeah I went from 6 pullups to 15 so I am now currently on break to give my shoulders a rest but many days at work i slip out to the warehouse and 11 pullups, which is just enough to feel i did something without shoulder wear. With the XR dips, back levers and everything else the pullups just became too much and i felt i needed to take a break on them somewhat. FOUR: HSPU??? I thought the Press 2 handstand was enough here? How about HeSpu negatives against the wall? That is definitely my weakest point and I read that Coach Sommer says the Handstand work gives the most bang for the buck in terms of overall performance. THANKS BLAIR BOB FOR THE TIME YOU HAVE TAKEN ON ALL OF MY POSTS!!!!! It is very much appreciated and I have no doubt made some good progress due in part to some of the advice you provided that I have made part of my regular workout. Kevp951

matthew.percussion

A hanging leg lift will work a larger range of motion than a L-Sit lift. Also it helps to build up to Russian Leg Lifts.

As for the Straddle L, the biggest problem I have is with active flexibility. I assume this is the reason why you do it with one hand in the center? Try sitting in a straddle and putting your hands between your legs and pushing on the ground while lifting your feet as high as possible. Try to actively pull them apart as well. I have always found this to be a difficult exercise but it has proven useful.

Coach Sommer has explained that Straight arm work will build straight arm strength and has a lot of carry over to bent arm strength. However, bent arm work cannot be removed from the equation. Negatives HeSPU on a wall should work well to begin with. That is where I started.

Good Luck :mrgreen:

Blairbob

Yeah, the straddle L with one hand between the crotch and outside the leg is a progression for straddle L in the book.

Perhaps instead of just pullups, work false grip pullups since that would be a good exercise to pair with the MU negative.

Right now, for myself working an L sit lift would be very little ROM. Maybe that ROM could improve but I just don't think it would be enough. Hmm. Working L sit works the static and I like something traditional form of leg lift be it HeS/HS Leg Lift or Hanging Leg lift of some kind.

Instead of HSPU, just working more HS on wall or free would be a good addition towards working press 2 HS 10x. That's just not enough HS for my preference. Did you see those "Wall Runs" ? I like HS shrugs as well. Those would be very good to work in, especially if you're HS on wall is decent. Working a fair amount of HS work so long as you don't overdo it, will strengthen your wrists for mushroom work in the future.

Here's a thread on the "Webster." http://www.trickstutorials.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6288.html Have someone at the gym show you a front aerial timer to your back and butt on mats and into pit.