This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strength Meet

Started by Cory Fair, February 20, 2013 · 2 Replies · 16 Views

Cory Fair

This is not a short term idea, but I wanted to bring up the concept for discussion. For a while, the question of why someone should participate in the level system has felt incomplete to me.

The certification aspect works fine, but in my mind the question remains of whether self satisfaction and a title on the forums is sufficient motivation. I'd like to propose that the cumulation of the GymnasticBodies experience is a strength meet. In gymnastics, training cumulates in major competitions like Visa. This would be our equivalent.

The idea is that we foster the competitive aspect and allow someone to walk away with some decent money for winning (paid for largely by entry fees). Contestants must be level ranked in order to enter. The competition itself would require mastery of GST elements but push the contestants to see their mettle.

I think of how Coach has done contests with his athletes; and also how well received the few contests at seminars have been. Right now GB essentially only has a recreational track for GST. This gives a competitive one and caps on the fact that it creates a demand for level tests and online coaching and seminars (and soon classes).

Plus individuals get fanatical about winning: there's probably no better way to encourage someone to drop their money on services. And by doing things right we would be creating some beastly athletes.

I envision this happening about 2015 as logistics take a while and the program needs time to build up. It's too early to discuss specifics (such as level 1-3 qualifier rounds covering all areas), but I'm sure Coach could easily create a one of a kind competition. I'm not thinking a Crossfit games imitation but rather something truly unique that grows out of the GB experience. Thoughts?

Nic Branson

Now this has some serious potential.

 

Definitely good for community building also.

 

I know how much Coach hates the T-shirt idea at this stage but combined with this idea we can really spread the brand and build the community and recognition. They are a pain and not much cash but to get out there with DD and X-Fit and SFG etc, we could use the branding when we start to push growth.

Cole Dano

- I agree the Level Test is still missing some key element.

 

- An idea like this has the potential to be huge. Very huge, but will need careful thought.

 

- Let's see what Coach thinks first before getting too nutty.

 

- Branding in any case is going to be very important. I am behind Cory and I'm sure Coach about the theme of excellence.

 

- That excellence should extend to all GB members, including those who want to get stronger, but don't want to compete etc.

 

- Any competition should be arranged so members of all levels can compete against others of their level, similarly to gymnastics meet.