This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Harder Levels... Easier?

Started by thenail001, February 19, 2013 · 10 Replies · 646 Views

thenail001

I feel like this must have been asked... 

 

Has anyone run into this?  For instance, I find MN PE 3 (V ups) much more difficult than hanging leg lifts... at least for the volume of V ups.  

 

And some of the progressions are very user dependent... like I could make them much easier or more difficult than what's displayed in the course videos.  

Arto

.

Joshua Slocum

The easier elements require a great deal more endurance than the later elements. If your primary deficits are in endurance, rather than strength, you will find the earlier elements to pose more of a challenge. 

 

The higher-repetition schedule of the basic elements serves two purposes. It deeply patterns the fundamental positions and exercises, so they will come naturally to you in the future. Additionally, as mentioned above, it serves as good prehab for the connective tissues. 

ausswe

thats been my problem as well.  I have been focused on low reps high weight for way to long....  its feels nice doing these movements with the higher reps =D i feel more solid overall.

Matt JC

And some of the progressions are very user dependent... like I could make them much easier or more difficult than what's displayed in the course videos.

 

 

 

Maybe so, but, I am pretty sure you're supposed to mimic the position and tempo of the athletes in the viedo.  If the athlete's feet are together, so should yours.  If the athlete rows slowly, so should you.

thenail001

cool, thanks all.

Joshua Naterman

There's also a big difference in potential muscle contribution from the upper body in HLL, etc, in the later stages of compression, and feeling like a later progression is easier than an earlier one probably means there's a compensation patter at work, to some degree.

 

I also think that V-ups are harder than HLL, right now, but that's slowly changing as I get more flexible and as I learn to use the flexibility to compress.

RatioFitness
ausswe said:

thats been my problem as well.  I have been focused on low reps high weight for way to long....  its feels nice doing these movements with the higher reps =D i feel more solid overall.

This this this. 

 

I've been doing low reps for so long if feels really good on my body to do these higher reps and holds.

Coach Sommer

- Higher rep work is essential for joint health.  In fact the stronger you become, the more important it is.  

 

- This is why the recommended warmup reps (21,15, 9)  are structured the way they are.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

u3er
Coach Sommer said:

- Higher rep work is essential for joint health.  In fact the stronger you become, the more important it is.  

 

- This is why the recommended warmup reps (21,15, 9)  are structured the way they are.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach, I have a follow-up question about the warmup sets if you could please help.  I have been doing each of them in conjunction with their respective skills - for example, I'll sequentially perform 1x21 SLS/PE1+iM1, then 1x16 SLS/PE2+iM2, then 1x10 SLS/PE3+iM3, then dive right into the day's work for SLS/PE4+iM4, all with no rest between sets (other than the iM work).  Performing the warmup sets this way way hugely adds to the total volume and intensity of the day's work, but feels great and adds more challenge.  I want to confirm if this the right way to do the warmup sets?  Or are we supposed to do ALL the warmup sets for each of the day's skills as part of a general warmup BEFORE diving into the days work?

 

Thanks in advance for your input :)

Coach Sommer

- Warmup sets should not be overly demanding; but should be relatively moderate.  The purpose of the warmup sets is to prepare the body for the work to come; not to further add to the number of work sets.

 

- Also no stringent structure regarding iM and warmup sets needs to be observed.  Once you have mastered a PE and that PE's iM than you insert that particular iM into your warmups on an "as needed" basis.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer