This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip Circles with feet together

Started by Gillham, February 18, 2013 · 6 Replies · 473 Views

Gillham

In sl/pe1 im the model has his feet together while doing the hip circles.  If I do this I can't move my hips well, it seem like I am just moving my trunk on my pelvis and I get a funny clicking feeling in my spine.  When I do it with my feet hip width apart I can move my hips and there is no spine weirdness.  Should I continue doing the hip circles with feet at shoulder width and try to bring my feet closer week by week or is it fine as is?

 

Thank you.

FredInChina

haha, that's true... I had not paid attention to that!

If you look closely though, the athlete in the video has legs like he's been riding horses all his life. :D A train could go through there!

When I get my feet together, my legs don't show such a gap!

Patrick Smith

To be honest, I don't know. However, in my brief experience with this variation of the movement, I have discovered that although it first felt extremely awkward, if you lean your shoulders strongly in the opposite direction that your hips are going than it becomes quite the lower back mobility as well as hip mobility and after some time it became quite comfortable.

Gillham

Thanks for your input. Yeah that guy looks a  little bowlegged for sure! I'll stick with my feet apart.  I definitely feel that I am developing mobility in the hips when I do it that way.  With my feet together it just feels like I overextend my lumbar spine and twist which is never a good idea.

gohei_

I have never done them with feet together before until F1, and the first time there was a bit of pain in my hip area but since I decreased the ROM and going slower it feels pretty good actually.

Patrick Smith
Gillham said:

Thanks for your input. Yeah that guy looks a  little bowlegged for sure! I'll stick with my feet apart.  I definitely feel that I am developing mobility in the hips when I do it that way.  With my feet together it just feels like I overextend my lumbar spine and twist which is never a good idea.

You're free to do what you want, of course, but don't forget that Coach probably had the athlete stand with his feet together for a good reason. I wouldn't make a habit of deviating from the demonstrated form!

Coach Sommer
Patrick Smith said:

You're free to do what you want, of course, but don't forget that Coach probably had the athlete stand with his feet together for a good reason. I wouldn't make a habit of deviating from the demonstrated form!

 

Excellent advice.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer