This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Am I holding myself back?

Started by Somalie, February 17, 2013 · 13 Replies · 636 Views

Somalie

Am I holding myself back by starting from the very beginning even if I have mastery of some the PE1 Elements?

 

My personal thoughts are that by starting at the very beginning of the PE1 routine I am going to solidify my progress moving forward into the subsequent PE's

 

The road I travel by this regard is a much longer one, but I believe well worth it.

 

So thoughts please... Good, Bad or Indifferent are welcome.

 

 

Thanks

gohei_

To be honest, if your technique is not perfect in the movements that you do possess then I think you will only benefit from starting all over.

I can do pull-ups and dips easily, and I have a sloppy-looking MU, yet I started from day 1 on everything to make sure I don't have any cracks in my foundation. Plus, my strength far exceeds my mobility, and I'm hoping I can balance them out with F1.

Even though I'm going back to scratch I figure it won't be that long until I'm back to doing exercises that I am used to doing, but I will be better prepared for it (I hope).

Nic Branson

You will not be holding yourself back. Some extra volume of easier work will help reinforce form and also get rid of any creeping aches and pains.

Michael S.

Starting everything from week 1 wont do any harm for sure but will also not be the most efficient route to mastery of F1. Thats not advocating rushing through it but I think the advice which has been given in another thread is very good, that if you can perform a PE with the iM element close to the mastery requirements with good form, its absolutely ok to start abbreviated cycles at week 5 or 9. The key is being honest to yourself when you are testing out on the PEs and Mobility elements.

Klaudius Petrulis

Personally I'm doing the same thing, starting from the beginning. I want to solidify my base as much as possible.

 

I want a foundation strong enough to support not just a house, but a skyscraper.

Bobby Bogdanovski

I've also started from the beginning. Only 2 weeks in and the benefits are self evident. In addition to subtle strength and stability gains in basic positions the early stages also feel therapeutic.

Joshua Naterman

I too have started from the beginning, it's good stuff.

MvdB

Me too. Even though I've been on a loooong BtGB-hiatus (and I only followed the WODs for 3-4 months when I started out in 2009 or 2010) I am confident that I can perform most of the PE and iM exercises for the RC and HBP elements in F1 (God, I love all these abbreviations!) but to me it just makes sense to start at PE1 for every element.

 

Investing some extra time now will most likely increase the effectiveness of your training during later stages of the Foundation process.

Somalie

Really glad to know a lot of people are on the same page.

So by my calculations it will take 72 weeks to complete the entirety of the F1 course PE1 - PE6. Granted there are no setbacks or hiccups.

Warm Up/ Cool Down

So Jump Rope 5 min

Ido Portal Scapular ROM Routine ( because I like it.)

PE1 + IM Work

Nice!

ivan uzarevic

Hello everybody!

I also started from the beginning although I can easily do pull ups, dips etc..Just want to make sure that I cover everything during this F1 course! Cheers! :)

Hercules

I can hold a straddle front lever for 5s, but I'm still having to start from Pe2 or Pe1 of all the elements. Wasn't getting mastery on any of them so I'm running 2 months cycles as I got a few sets in.

 

I'm having to start from the beginning.

Joshua Slocum
Somalie said:

Am I holding myself back by starting from the very beginning even if I have mastery of some the PE1 Elements?

 

Yes.

 

If you have truly mastered something, there is little to be gained from making it the focus of your efforts. If you can do both the PE and IM elements at a master level, you will benefit much more from progressing. Use the easier progressions as part of your warm-up to maintain your mastery over them. If you think you need to refine your form, or increase your ROM a little bit, or anything else, then you haven't truly mastered that level anyways. So the question is: have you really mastered the given elements, or are you just a little stronger there than elsewhere? 

xray

I pretested before starting F1 as discussed on the forum but have failed on a few exercises.  Now I think I'm just going to start from the beginning too and do the full 12 weeks for each exercise.  Im sure some extra mobility work wouldn't hurt either.  

Jon Douglas

I certainly can't see it hurting, but I don't have the patience (or any pre-existing injuries) to be as cautious as this. As I see it, if you've been brutally honest with your performance AND completed the prescription, there's nothing more significant to be milked from that exercise, and on you go. Coach's programming accomodates both these approaches however, so there's no need to doubt the efficiacy of either :)