When I'm doing skiers, I find that my feet want to go on their edge for balance...as if I was actually skiing. Is that ok? Or am I trying to keep feet perfectly flat on the floor. Harder, IMHO.
Thx, J
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Jerry Mangona, February 16, 2013 · 31 Replies · 1,224 Views
When I'm doing skiers, I find that my feet want to go on their edge for balance...as if I was actually skiing. Is that ok? Or am I trying to keep feet perfectly flat on the floor. Harder, IMHO.
Thx, J
The feet should remain flat.
Allowing your feet to go up on the edge only gives the illusion of ROM; it is not actual productive ROM.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer said:The feet should remain flat.
Allowing your feet to go up on the edge only gives the illusion of ROM; it is not actual productive ROM.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks, Coach. So I just want to make sure I'm doing this right as a mobility rather than a strength move. When my glutes are to the level of my knees, more of my weight is one foot than the other, which means that by the end of 10 of these, it feels like I've done 10 SLS with assistance from the 2nd foot. I'm definitely breathing heavy after 10 of these.
Does that mean I'm doing it right? Or does that mean I shouldn't bring my glutes all the way to knee level until my strength builds up?
are we suppose to do 10/per side?
spyro7800 said:are we suppose to do 10/per side?
10r total - on movements that alternate from side to side, count each side as one rep.
For "Stiff Leg Windmill, MN/PE1>iM, 5r after each work set" should we do 5r on each side in every work set or should we alternate sides between each work set?
Tough it is not in the video, I guess we should also do the exercise for the left side at some point ... ![]()
Same side 5r, change sides.
I don't "get" skiers either. It feel like a balance challenge, until I get tired and then it feels like an endurance thing.
(PS...sorry that video is sideways)
yeah, you're knee should be straight and what should be happening is that since the knee is stationary, what you swivel from is the hips. like doing a close squat but leaning off to the side.
give it a try!
It actually looks not bad to me SynchroGENized; maybe you should slow the movement down a little bit. ![]()
Thanks for this post, it really helped me. I definitely feel it much differently with my feet flat.
I was wondering about the position of the upper body during these. In the video he seems to keep a pretty flat back all throughout but I notice that if I push the rom to get my hips to knee level that I'm hunching over a bit and my upper body touching my thighs. Is this accepted or not?
gohei_ said:I was wondering about the position of the upper body during these. In the video he seems to keep a pretty flat back all throughout but I notice that if I push the rom to get my hips to knee level that I'm hunching over a bit and my upper body touching my thighs. Is this accepted or not?
It could be poor ankle mobility that forces you to compensate ![]()
FredInChina said:It could be poor ankle mobility that forces you to compensate
Yay, more stuff to work on ![]()
I thought I was fairly good at skiers.
I'm not.....
For what it's worth, this exercise changed drastically when I learned that it wasn't the knees which move to the side...it's the hip that moves to the side with the knees staying straight. Totally different feeling, and it actually replicates what I feel when skiing. Question, is it normal that one foot is feeling more of the weight? I.e. when my hip is to my right, I feel more weight on my right foot, etc.
I think that's totally legit. You move your center of gravity to the side. So you can't have the same weight on both legs.
When I rise up out of skiers, I focus on driving my heels into the ground to straighten my knees - rather than driving my quads into the ground. It's more difficult strength-wise, but I find that it really accentuates the stretch on the Achilles.
The Achilles is quickly becoming my one step away from mastery, so would like to add more mobility. Is there a good supplementary exercise to stretch the Achilles tendon?
downward dog with one leg resting over the stretching leg or deep squat, i guess ![]()
I do shin raises occasionally when im sitting down out of restlessness
Thanks Keilani. Just tried the downward dog with one foot pressing the other heel down. That'll do very nicely. ![]()
Hold the phone!!!! What? Are you sure? This is what it says on the FAQ:
For elements which alternate directions, eg) RC/PE4>iM, complete the total rep count on each side (unless explicitly indicated, as in sPL/PE2>iM). That is, left + right = one complete repetition.
I only ask because these skiers are turning my legs into rubber bands... I'm doing L + R = 1 rep.
Cole Dano said:10r total - on movements that alternate from side to side, count each side as one rep.
Wait.
I think I'm confused by your wording. I think my brain is a bit oxygen starved after doing SLS.
each side is a rep, JenJennifer said:Wait.
I think I'm confused by your wording. I think my brain is a bit oxygen starved after doing SLS.
So L + R = 2 reps
or
L + R = 1 rep
Speak to me slow now....lol...
L=1, R=2, L=3, R=4, etcJennifer said:So L + R = 2 reps
or
L + R = 1 rep
Speak to me slow now....lol...