Flares Critique

Started by jamesters, February 15, 2013 · 4 Replies · 1,501 Views

jamesters

I've been working on a combo from flares, but then I got to wondering what can be improved on my flares. I've known for a long time that I have an issue keeping the left leg straight as I swing through from the hips in front portion. I also have a hard time keeping my hips high from the hips in back portion. Anything else need work? What can I do to improve these issues? Finally, should I be concentrating on what the scapula is doing at all, should I be trying to stay protracted on the hips in back portion?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7nbzr1anA

Alessandro Mainente

typical problem of the flares is that then first kicking leg is not maintained high on the side. as your leg is high on the side as long as you can hold it, then is better for your, is much time you can use to counterturn your hips in front and swing you leg back.

kick with the leg and after bend it, lets your hips to collapse and close. maintain it high is the first way to maintain the hips opened on the back. when you swing on the back try to maintain the legs opened as much as possible and for the next round don't swing under your body but always on the side. as the body remain extended you don't need to put to much effort in the extension of the hips

jamesters

I understand perfectly, I'm sure I've been told this before but probably needed reminding. Thanks, yo!

Oldrich Polreich

That combo is just awesome! (a bit more kick on the cork and you would land perfectly)

How long it took you to learn flares like this? And what is your method? (circles to flares or just flares?)

 

Thanks

jamesters
Oldřich Polreich said:

That combo is just awesome! (a bit more kick on the cork and you would land perfectly)

How long it took you to learn flares like this? And what is your method? (circles to flares or just flares?)

 

Thanks

My flares look a lot better already than in this video. I focused on stalling my right leg by my head as long as I could and they were much smoother. I'll try to film them next time I train them. Anyway, I had a typical cruddy start, learned the breakdancer way from a toprock and did that for 2 years, then I started practicing circles and flares on a mushroom for a year, now I practice them a wide variety of ways. It's been 6 years doing flares now.