Workout Routine Check

Started by AlphaKratos, February 12, 2013 · 3 Replies · 1,471 Views

AlphaKratos

I have restructured my workouts a few times based on recommendations from people here, so I am posting my current protocol to get a check.

 

 

Warmup run

some leg stretches

5-10 minutes of running

20-60 minutes of full body stretching, working on increasing flexibility each day

hand balancing for 20-40 minutes

 

after this warmup, the real workout begins

 

20 minutes each of

 

Front lever

Back lever

Straddle L

MSH

Planche

L-sit

 

I do what progressions I can with each, typically do 10-30 second holds with each one, 30 second rest, and I repeat this protocol nonstop for the full 20 minutes. Take 2-5 minute break between the positions, move on to the next one.

 

Then I do some kind of WOD, either from here or one I come up with.

 

More handstands usually end the day.

 

I wasn't eating during this whole thing before, I will start eating grapes during breaks based on recommendations.

 

I will be posting form checks for all the positions soon

Daniel Shields

Where did you get the idea of doing 20 minutes of work per FSP? That sounds extremely excessive to me. What kind of training background do you have?

AlphaKratos

Training background is pretty extensive. I've done several years each of soccer, wrestling, basketball, weightlifting, and a little over a year ago got into gymnastics. I read BtGB, but need to revisit the book. I read a couple recommendations of not to train to failure, so after a bit of experimentation, I reached the conclusion that 20 minutes is good, as I can do the FSP for that long without my form degrading, or without having to lower the time I spend on the skill. This tells me that I am not training to failure. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now, and I have noticed no joint pain, no severe exhaustion, no inability to keep working at this level, etc. So, for my body, this is a good place. Honestly, I thought I may need to devote more time to the FSP.

 

Oh yeah, I also do this routine only 3 times a week. The rest of the week is much lighter, usually handstand work and some very introductory ring work.

 

Ring work at most is 2 times a week for 1-1.5 hours.

Daniel Shields

If you are capable doing 20-30 sets of an FSP in your workout, you are not at the right level of intensity. Also keep in mind that not feeling pain now does not mean you are not causing damage. Tendon problems usually only start hurting when you've already sustained chronic injury. Remember that you are putting significant strain on your connective tissue, especially as you progress into higher levels of FSP. Connective tissue heals much more slowly than muscle, so you have to plan accordingly.

 

If you can afford to get Foundation 1, I highly recommend doing so. It will take the guess work out of creating a workout plan. In the mean time, I suggest reading this thread to determine if you have done enough ground work to safely train the FSP:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3750-prerequisites/

 

If you find that you can perform 3-5 sets of 60 seconds in the prerequisite holds with minimal rest, I suggest reading about the Killroy70 template and using that as a starting point for creating your workout program.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3380-questions-about-killroy70s-workout/