Do I stretch 15 sec or 30 sec for each arm?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Question On Rc/pe2>Im
Started by e04, February 9, 2013 · 9 Replies · 426 Views
30 sec each arm, 60s total work.
Another question about this iM:
Are there any particularly helpful cues for this stretch? I can't quite see at what angle the athlete's knees are bent in the video. Is he leaning back, pulling his head down actively? I feel this stretch many different kinds of ways depending on small changes in my position. I try to achieve a stretch all the way down the lat, but sometimes this can be elusive. Suggestions?
I feel this more at te shoulder an sometimes the scapula/ middle back more than the lats.
I find that I feel the stretch in different places as the workout goes on. First set or two I feel all the way down my lats, next set is more in the Teres area, under the shoulder blade, and by the fourth set I often don't feel much of a stretch at all.
The foot/leg position IMO is based around these factors
- the further toward the wall they are the more weight goes backwards through the stretch (good)
- if they are too far forward there can be a tendency to round the back and end up with a different stretch (bad)
- if your knees end up too straight and hit your hamstring flexibility limit, your back will round (bad)
It looks like the arms, head and torso should be mostly straight and in line, so there is a sweet point based on the above points?
I imagine I'm stating the obvious, but also make an effort to cycle which arm you start with from set to set - i.e. don't always start with the same arm.
-= G =-
George said:(...) the arms, head and torso should be mostly straight and in line, so there is a sweet point based on the above points?
I found that if you push your arms forward, while still pulling your weight backwards, it intensifies the stretch.
(a little bit like what Joshua Naterman explained in an older post regarding the dead hang: Push the arms up like you wanted to lift the bar while hanging
)
FredInChina said:I found that if you push your arms forward, while still pulling your weight backwards, it intensifies the stretch.
(a little bit like what Joshua Naterman explained in an older post regarding the dead hang: Push the arms up like you wanted to lift the bar while hanging
)
Good call - I missed that post, but will include this cue in future ...in this iM and any other work it seems relevant to.
Thanks,
George.
I've found the best stretch comes from:
1) Pulling actively with the arm involved
2) Making sure my torso is about parallel to the ground (and not too upright)
3) Actively pushing my hips out and away. From the thing I'm pulling against.
FredInChina said:I found that if you push your arms forward, while still pulling your weight backwards, it intensifies the stretch.
(a little bit like what Joshua Naterman explained in an older post regarding the dead hang: Push the arms up like you wanted to lift the bar while hanging
)
...tried this today. The word missing there is slowly push your arms forward - nearly tore my lat clean off !!!
:)
Really added to the stretch. Thanks for the tip.