This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How Wide Is A Straddle

Started by Tomas Johansson, February 9, 2013 · 4 Replies · 380 Views

Tomas Johansson

Should we strive to achive a full straddle already in the earliest PE:s and iM:s before we can consider it mastered or should we just keep doing our best regarding the spread of the legs and it will be there by Foundation 4 or so?

 

If we shall have a full straddle from the beginning before moving on, what can be considered a full straddle? It's a bit hard to see from a video sometimes and it also seem to vary.

 

Maybe a stupid question. :-)

 

Joshua Slocum

You want about a 90 degree angle between your legs. If you can't do that, you should start stretching your middle split. 

MvdB

I'm assuming that the wider your (active) straddle, the better. But is 90 degrees really the minimum angle you should aim for? I would have thought you need at least 120 degrees in order to comfortably place your hands on the floor in a straddle-L, for example.

Joshua Slocum
Michaël van den Berg said:

I'm assuming that the wider your (active) straddle, the better. But is 90 degrees really the minimum angle you should aim for? I would have thought you need at least 120 degrees in order to comfortably place your hands on the floor in a straddle-L, for example.

The wider your straddle, the easier a planche will be. Whether that's "better" is dependent on what you're trying to accomplish. Doing a straddle planche with a full split won't develop as much strength as a less-wide straddle. 90 degrees is the minimum angle for their to be an appreciable difference in difficulty between a straddle planche and a half-lay/one-leg. At 60 degrees, they're going to be about the same, or straddled might even be a little harder. All these numbers will vary by person, too. 

 

A straddle-L is a different beast, and the leg angle you need will depend on your body. 

MvdB

Yes, after posting I realized that (of course!) straddle-L involves piking/compression whereas straddle planche does not, hence the different requirements in terms of minimum/optimal angle. My bad! I'm just more used to thinking in terms of a straddle-L because I will not reach a straddle planche before finishing F4 (which I assume will take me a couple of years) ;)