What's Going On With The Workout Logs Forum

Started by IcedDante, February 8, 2013 · 21 Replies · 3,800 Views

IcedDante

I see the message that the member workout log forum is under development... is the end result going to be the same as it was before or are there going to be new features here?

Cory Fair

When we have something released, we will update with details.

Patrick Smith

I don't know, but when the workout logs are open to all members it makes mentioning information found in products a bit hard... 

Joshua Slocum

There might be an 'open workout logs' area and a 'foundation workout logs' area. 

Daniel Shields
Hari_Seldon said:

There might be an 'open workout logs' area and a 'foundation workout logs' area. 

 

This approach would become problematic as more products are released. It doesn't seem practical to keep several workout log threads. I am curious what solution to this will be found. The only thing I can think of is some sort of system for tagging which courses a workout log entry contains information from.

Cole Dano

Daniel is right. We had considered the multiple logs solution, but realised it was impossible.

 

Cory does have something in mind, but there are a couple of technical hurdles he has to work out. If it does work out it will be very nice.

IcedDante

I cannot even access my own Workout Log right now. Will you all at least restore the ability to view and post to our own logs?

 

Thanks.

Cory Fair
IcedDante said:

I cannot even access my own Workout Log right now. Will you all at least restore the ability to view and post to our own logs?

 

Thanks.

 

Should be fine for you, if it's not send me a PM

IcedDante

Scratch that- it's looking good. Thanks.

MvdB

How is the new workout system coming along? I toyed with the idea of creating one but I'd rather wait until you guys have found a way to work around the 'confidentiality' aspect of the F and H courses.

FredInChina

It is a bit of a pity to have lost the interaction that existed in the training logs. :(

RandomHavoc

I don't know if this has been considered already, but here is my suggestion:

 

-I didn't buy any products = Everyone can view my log

-I only bought H1 = Everyone besides those who bought nothing can view my log

-I bought both H1 and F1 = Only those that bought both can view my log

 

That way, no one gains an advantage over material that they have not purchased.

Arto

.

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

It is a bit of a pity to have lost the interaction that existed in the training logs. :(

Yeah, I'm getting more inclined to keep my logs offline given the current situation; I enjoyed getting advice and sharing ideas with visitors, and trawling others for tidbits. If it's only me reading it then...

Cory Fair
Charm said:

Yeah, I'm getting more inclined to keep my logs offline given the current situation; I enjoyed getting advice and sharing ideas with visitors, and trawling others for tidbits. If it's only me reading it then...

 

It's not an ideal situation now, but on the list of immediate priorities the workout log isn't that high. If someone came up with a solution that allows social interaction in logs without giving away course content, I would listen. Unfortunately, I can't do a topic-based permission structure--it's not in the ability of the forum platform and is far too much time to write it in.

RandomHavoc
Arto Ratilainen said:

Umm... You do realize that means that people who bought F1 but not H1 can view the work out logs of people who bought H1, right? That would give out information of the material to those who didn't buy the product.

I didn't list every scenario since more products will be released in the future. But if someone only bought F1, then only people who bought F1 or those that bought F1 and other products such as H1 can view the log.

 

EDIT: Cory, I'm thinking along the lines of creating usergroups based on products purchased. However, this would imply permutations of every product purchased, which could grow into quite a list in the future. Those who buy a product would be placed within a usergroup and only those usergroups with permission to view other groups would have access.

Arto

.

Jon Douglas
Cory Fair said:

It's not an ideal situation now, but on the list of immediate priorities the workout log isn't that high. If someone came up with a solution that allows social interaction in logs without giving away course content, I would listen. Unfortunately, I can't do a topic-based permission structure--it's not in the ability of the forum platform and is far too much time to write it in.

I get that, there's kind of a lot on the dev team's plate. There's no criticism in my post towards you or the community, I love both those things in a 90% platonic way.

Personally I'm just losing interest in posting a log that doesn't help anyone else with my experiences, or me by reader comments. I train alone and I'm used to and happy with that, but without being able to compare and discuss day to day experiences I lose a big chunk of feeling part (admittedly a fairly quiet and not terribly often serious part, but it takes all types) of this community, the only non-technical forum I regularly check.

I look forward to this getting sorted out sometime in the future, when time and workload permit.

 

 

Edit; it's not like I'm implying that the forum advice and products aren't solid gold, it just feels more impersonal. I like to know how my classmates/comrades are going, even if its an interaction built solely via screen names (since I'm yet to attend a seminar).

Cory Fair
Charm said:

I get that, there's kind of a lot on the dev team's plate. There's no criticism in my post towards you or the community, I love both those things in a 90% platonic way.

Personally I'm just losing interest in posting a log that doesn't help anyone else with my experiences, or me by reader comments. I train alone and I'm used to and happy with that, but without being able to compare and discuss day to day experiences I lose a big chunk of feeling part (admittedly a fairly quiet and not terribly often serious part, but it takes all types) of this community, the only non-technical forum I regularly check.

I look forward to this getting sorted out sometime in the future, when time and workload permit.

 

 

Edit; it's not like I'm implying that the forum advice and products aren't solid gold, it just feels more impersonal. I like to know how my classmates/comrades are going, even if its an interaction built solely via screen names (since I'm yet to attend a seminar).

 

We do have something coming in the 2.0 course update that should fit the bill of personal interaction in a similar way to how the old workout logs were. :)

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

Edit; it's not like I'm implying that the forum advice and products aren't solid gold, it just feels more impersonal. I like to know how my classmates/comrades are going, even if its an interaction built solely via screen names (since I'm yet to attend a seminar).

 

 

I second this. The workout logs definitely add to that "community feeling". They let you check up on how your GB buddies are doing, and offer advice, comments or congratulations. The only reason I posted logs on this site at all was because other people would get to see it and respond to it. There are other more convenient formats for private logs. 

Jon Douglas

... Also, one more criticism, I keep getting this error.

 

 

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

 

 

 

Please advise, I'm sick of seeing it >.<

Elliot

has anything more happened with this? Or are is looking impossible?